Chapter 86

Raevon

A bitter wind passes through the night, ruffling the dead leaves on the ground. Moonlight bursts through the clouds, making the puffs of my breath easier to see. It comes out fast and unsteady. I have to get myself together. If I face Jacob like this, he will know something is wrong.

"Raevon? Are you alright?" Johnny calls to me. I try to take a deep breath to steady my quivering hands.

"I'm fine." I turn from the dark forest and walk back to the four that wait for me. Clarity looks as pale as a sheet as she wraps her arms around herself.

"Has Chase replied yet?" Johnny asks. I shake my head.

"I'm starting the chopper when I have about twenty Deviants in there," Clarissa says, looking at Jesse. "I'm counting for twenty-seven and I'll be taking off after reaching that number whether you three are here or not. It'll draw too much attention otherwise." We all nod our heads and my phone buzzes.

"That's Chase. He's in the system and has frozen the cameras," I say, looking at my phone. I walk back to the large chopper and reach into the duffle bag that I packed before we traveled to Stonegate. I take my personal Korth Combat and tuck it in my concealed holster. I hand Johnny and Jesse each a Colt Diamondback.

"You'll have six shots," I say before giving each of them more ammo, "use them wisely."

"We know," Jesse comments, putting his gun snuggly in the belt of his pants. Johnny does the same.

"Remember," I say, firmly, staring determinedly into Jesse's dark eyes, "hesitation will be the death of all of us." My phone goes off again and I look at it to see a message from Jacob. "It's time." I pull an Extraction from a small pocket on the duffle bag, which is already in a syringe, and safely secure it in my boot.

"What's that?" Jesse asks.

"It's the last Extraction of Amee's ability when she was first caught," I answer. "Jacob showed it to me, and I pulled some strings with him." I stand straight, turning my back to them. I look over my shoulder at Johnny. "You must keep hold of my shoulder the entire time, so I know where you are." He nods his head. "Both of you be careful not to turn me invisible," I say, turning to face ahead of me. When Jesse grabs my shoulder, it gives me a completely different effect as to when Johnny grabs my other shoulder. When Johnny gives me the signal, I teleport all three of us straight into Jacob's office, my heart slamming so hard against my chest, I'm afraid it will be heard. I force myself to have the indifferent manner that I used to have in certain situations like this and look into Jacob's eyes.

"Let's make this quick," I say, "I'm still on the hunt for Johnny Barlow." I feel Johnny move with a start.

"How's that going by the way?" Jacob says, sorting through a small stack of papers.

"An invisible man that could be anywhere between here and Wyoming... it's going great," I say, the sarcasm thick.

"If he were my responsibility, he'd already be behind bars." Slade states. I title my head to the side and give him a studying glance.

"Is that envy I detect, Slade?" I say. This time it's Jesse's hand that tightens on my shoulder. I try to ignore both of them as I continue. "You're not upset that I was the one that caught that Barlow girl, are you? Wasn't she your responsibility? And she was only twelve at the time," I say mockingly.

"Eleven," Jacob says without glancing up from his papers. Slade's fists clench but I smile, satisfied at the hated glare he gives me. He stands from Jacob's desk.

"She was a brat, and it didn't help that Zhou went rogue. That's the only reason she wasn't caught by me."

"Of course, it is," I mock again.