Chapter 52

Clint

"It can't possibly be someone doing it, but something," Clarity says. All of us turn from one of the occupants in 9B, building four, who has a puncture wound in their arm. I'm personally bewildered. Is there some type of bug going around in school? It's impossible because diseases don't travel from room to room in perfect order.

"Something that's traveling from room to room?" Irene speaks my thoughts. "Not probable. I'm almost one hundred percent sure that this is a person."

"But how? We've watched all the windows and the hallways for the past two nights and none of us has seen a soul," Gracie says. Some how they are getting to each room without traveling outside. The only option left is to wait in a room.

I glance at Shad. He seems to be bored of this conversation already until he meets my eyes. He frowns.

"What?" He says defensively.

"You have been pricked, but what about Jesse? According to this pattern, your dorm is going to be next," I say. I catch all of the girls' interest, but I still look at Shad.

"Mate, I don't know if Jesse got it or not. Hell, we're the most good-looking wankers in this entire school, I'm surprised we weren't on the top of the list, either from infatuation or jealousy," he says, before bursting out laughing while ruffling his hair. Everyone in the vicinity rolls their eyes.

"I'm done," Irene says, messaging her temples. She turns to Clarity. "Text me with what they decide upon." She walks away. I look at Shad.

"Tell Jesse to crash else where for the next few nights," I say. Shad laughs.

"Are you bleeding serious? Where the hell is, he going to crash?" He says.

"My dorm," I say. He rolls his eyes before walking away. I turn and walk away as well, but I hear Gracie call my name. I turn to her to see Clarity and Shad still walking away together.

"If, um, you're not doing anything later, do you want to go out for a drink?" She asks. I rub my hand against my chin, feeling awkward. I like the place we are at, we're just friends with a past. But Dean Curtis is out of our lives. But how long until another Dean Curtis appears?

My eyes drift off to the side, and I spot a heart-shaped, pale but beautiful face. She stares at us and I can read her eyes. Surprise. But she looks away immediately when we make eye contact. I watch her walk past, touching her rock necklace. This is stupid. If she's not interested, then I need to get over it.

"Sure," I say. Gracie smiles, which sends my stomach to rock bottom. Why did I just do that? She had that same smile when she talked about Curtis. But I know Gracie will come out the more hurt. I'm not worried about me.

"I'llsee you later than," she says. I nod my head and she walks to her class. I walkaway with a heavy heart as well, dreading for tonight.

***

The bar is crowded and hot but by the time Gracie arrives I've already had a drink and the music is able to help me relax. A drink doesn't mean a commitment. And it'll be easier to break the news to her if I already have a drink in me. But when she sits down, dressed in a deep blue tight dress, she smiles at me before ordering her own drink. I'm slightly confused because her dress is moderately decent, not revealing a cleavage or is above her knees; which, knowing Gracie, when she tries to flatter someone, in this case I'd imagine that'd be me, she doesn't hold back. And when we begin to converse, it's oddly relaxed. I don't find myself uncomfortable at all as we discuss the past, mostly on fond memories, things we can laugh at. Her blonde hair flows down her back in waves, her ocean blue eyes have a glint in them when she looks at me that I haven't seen for a long time, she sips at her drinks with elegance, which bring my focus on her luscious lips that are a shade redder than usual.