Chapter 69

Clint

I meet Shad coming out of the theater after watching the last movie that plays during the night. My heart beats fast, my mind constantly questioning my decision. It was different before. Before I found out the person pricking every is someone, we all know. Before I knew it was May Eve. Does it even matter anymore? She's gone to Wyoming, and though every is expecting her back, I'm the only one that knows what she's doing. But I still don't know why! She may never come back from Wyoming.

"Shad!" I call to him, right before he steps into the driver's seat. He waves at me and I motion him over. He leans to say something to Clarity before closing the door and jogging toward me.

"Hiya, what's happening?" He says, meeting me in the alley. I take a breath.

"I know who's causing the pricks," I say. He raises his brows, surprised.

"Really? That's great, who is it?" He asks. I hesitate.

"I'm not sure I want to say," I say. He squints at me.

"Is this some kind of joke?" He asks. I shake my head.

"No, it's just... the person is a lot closer to us than we first thought," I say, wording my sentence carefully. He has a thoughtful look on his face.

"It's Gracie, isn't it?" He asks. It's so stupid I almost think he is kidding, but he always laughs at his own jokes. He doesn't laugh this time.

"No," I say, obviously. He shrugs.

"I'm sorry, mate, I just don't trust her," he says. I sigh, rolling my eyes.

"No, dude, it's someone... that I never would've thought it'd be," I say. His eyes widen.

"It's Amee!" He says, smiling.

"No! Will you please stop with the guessing? You're never going to get it," I say. His eyes drift off, thinking as he ruffles his hair. "You are never going to guess it," I say firmly. He opens his mouth to say something but before he can we hear an exit door to the building next to the theater open and slam shut. Both Shad and I look down the alley to see three large figures walking towards us, only silhouettes from the dark night. One is swinging what looks like a large stick at his side.

"Um... isn't this the alleyway that Johnny and Kate got mugged in?" Shad whispers to me. I nod my head, remembering that my car is still in the shop from that night.

"Yeah, we should probably go," I say, not because I'm worried about me, but Shad doesn't have enhanced strength. We both turn and walk towards the open street, both of us calm.

"Hey!" One of the men shout, a joyful hint to his voice. But when we ignore them the teasing tone disappears. He shouts at us to stop walking. I continue, until Shad turns on his heel with a swagger manner. I inwardly curse him before turning around to face the three guys.

"I'm sorry, do you want an autograph or something?" Shad says. I roll my eyes as the three men chuckle. I now see that the stick is actually a wooden bat.

"This on thinks he's funny," the one with the bat says.

"We'll take your wallets though," another one says. Shad reaches behind him and removes his wallet from his back pocket.

"You mean this wallet?" Shad says, a cocky smile playing at his lips.

"Oh, my hell," I mutter under my breath. Shad holds it out for them but right as the one with the bat tries to reach for it, Shad flings it over his shoulder, catching it with his left hand then waving it in the guy's face. Suddenly he cocks his fist and throws it in the face of the guy to the far right. The guy with the bat swings it right at Shad's head and out of instinct, I step in front of Shad, holding my arm up. The bat collides with my arm, shattering in splitters.

"Holy shit!" More than one person says. I step forward to knock one of them out but all three of them stumble backwards and rush away from us.

"Bleeding hell! That was awesome! How the hell did you not get knocked off your feet?!" Shad says. I almost punch him for being so loud. I take a glance at the street to see that the only one that noticed us is Clarity, who is on the phone with the police likely.

"What do you mean?" I ask, looking at Shad.

"That bat just hit you," he says.

"Uh, no it didn't. It hit the wall of the building," I lie.

"No. I saw it hit your arm," he says stubbornly.

"You must've been seeing things. Are you sure you were hit?" I say. His shoulders drop and he looks at me like I'm an idiot. I ruffle my beard, not sure how I'll be able to keep faking this. I could rewind time but I'd still need to save Shad from getting hit by the bat and I can't think of any other way to do aside from how it happened.

"So, if I punched you right now, you'd bleed?" he asks. I hesitate.

"Yeah..." I say. He shrugs his shoulders.

"Alright." He cocks his fist and I duck just in time to avoid a powerful punch. "Bleeding hell!" He says, both of us trading places in the scuffle.

"It was instinct!" I shout, getting frustrated. "You can't really think that I'd just stand there a let you punch me!" He suddenly smirks and I feel something settle over my shoulders. One minute I'm on edge, being attacked in an alleyway, next, I feel like I'm in the safest place. It's something unfamiliar, and yet I welcome it. My worry to keep Shad from discovering my ability is suddenly dispelled.

"Clint..." Shad says, confidence in his voice. "Do you have an ability?" Say 'no', a voice tells me. But it's alright. Shad's one of my best friends. I could trust him with anything.

"Yes," I say. Suddenly the comforting feeling is lifted off me, making me feel extra worried and even more stressed. "Hoooly shit, what the hell just happened?" I ask, stepping away from Shad, running my hands through me hair. How the hell could I have let myself say that?!

"That was me, mate," Shad says, a smug smile on his face, I glare at him.

"What do you mean?"

"You felt calmed, right? No worries? You could've told me anything." The last sentence isn't formed as a question.

"Are you saying that you just made me tell you about my ability?" I ask, frowning at him.

"Well, bleeding hell, if you put it that way it just sounds awful. Let's say that I just helped you relax, so that you didn't feel the need to continue to burden yourself with the secret of your ability. You are the one that decided to tell me of your ability," he says. I frown, more out of thought, as I turn from the alleyway and start walking back to the street, Shad following me. If Shad has an ability, and Gracie has an ability, and I have an ability... Could that possibly having something to do with what May Eve is doing?

A/N:

So, I'm not sure when I had thrown this idea in here... Is it any good? Or should Clint still stay in the little dark that he's in??