Chapter 48

Clint

The air doesn't seem as cold with the knot in my stomach. It almost feels like we are doing something illegal. But is it illegal if we do something illegal to catch someone who is really doing the thing that's illegal? Why haven't we told Amee about this? She would know what we could and couldn't do, but I remember what she said when I had an agenda against Dean Curtis. If we have a nice stack of evidence against the real perpetrator, they aren't going to worry about the tiny invading of privacy that was necessary in order to catch the creep. Did Amee get a prick?

"This is bleeding daft!" Shad bursts out. "Nothing is happening!" I turn, yanked from my thoughts.

"We've only been out here for two hours," I say. I turn in the passenger seat of Shad's car to look at Clarity. "You're sure that the people in rooms after yours didn't have any pricks?" I ask.

"I'm sure," Clarity says, nodding her head.

"Some lights aren't even off in building Three, we came out here way early," Shad says as I roll the window back up.

"Nah, dude, those lights are always on," I say.

"But there is still a flaw in this plan," Irene says. "If it is a person, we just assumed that they are getting into the dorms by the windows. How do we know that they aren't traveling through the hallways?" I frown in thought.

"What are the chances?" Gracie asks.

"The hallway would be quieter, and more predictable of what they might run into, but they would have to stop to pick any locked doors, and the windows would let in a draft, probably waking up the occupants," I say.

"Why aren't we in the bleeding building then?" Shad half shouts.

"You seem crabby..." Clarity says. "How did you get out of your dorm without waking up Jesse? Isn't he a light sleeper?"

"You would know," Gracie says to her. I avoid looking back as I ruffle my beard, all I can think is poor Jesse. Shad ruffles his hair as I watch a thoughtful look come upon him.

"Huh... Jesse wasn't in the dorm when I had got up. I wonder... He's been acting dodgy lately... You don't think he'd be hiding something from me?" Shad says. I take a breath, slightly bored, before hitting Shad's shoulder.

"Come on, let's check out the halls," I say, opening the car door.

"We're coming too," Gracie says, but both Shad and I object.

"You girls stay here and keep on eye on the windows," Shad says. We both step out of the vehicle and walk away before they can say anything else and jog towards the building. "What do you plan on doing if we do end up catching someone?" Shad asks me. I shrug my shoulders. The first thing I'd want to know is why. The rest isn't that important to me, unless of course, this person was really drugging us.

But when Shad and I finally get to the hallway I never get the opportunity to know what I would do. The hallway stays completely empty and quiet.

A/N:

Short chapter, I know. But sort of relevant for the plot 😁

I think I'm getting writer's block with the story 😬😬 or maybe I'm just hungry..... taco salad 🥗😋 with those lime seasoned corn chips.... 🤤 I'll never get over it until I get some

Vote comment share!! 😘

So, I just thought of idea that could get my readers a little involved in the story- if ya'll are will to cooperate- everyone comment something they want to see happen involving any two characters and whoever comes up with the best idea I'll put in either the next chapter or the one after and I'll mention you in the chapter :D May the best reader win!