Chapter 45

Amee

May Eve stands before me looking extremely pissed off. She actually doesn't look anything like herself. She seems to stand taller; her hair seems different somehow; almost slightly darker. Her eyes are a shockingly deep green. She glares at me, her fists clenched.

"Say my name." She demands, almost threateningly. I am so shocked that I hesitate for a moment.

"May Eve Jennings," I say, confused. I flinch away from her when she looks as if she's about to punch me through the wall.

"That's not my name!" There is a muffled noise coming from somewhere, but I deal with the most pressing issue before me.

"Okay, I don't understand what you mean," I say in a most understanding voice I can muster. She sighs, exasperated.

"Are you gonna get that?" She asks.

"What?" I ask, even more confused.

"It's Kate," she says, as if it's obvious. The muffled noise grows much more intense and my eyes snap open, staring up at my ceiling. I turn over to see the screen of my phone brightened and ringing. I glance over at May Eve's bed to see her laying towards the wall as I quickly turn the ringing off. I look at the caller to see Kate's name lighting the screen.

"What the hell," I mutter under my breath. I look at the time to see that's it's nearly one in the morning. I press the green button and put the phone to my ear. "Kate? Is something wrong?" I ask, thinking of Cassidy. It has been about two weeks since we had any glimpse of her though.

"Um, I'm not sure," she says. She doesn't sound urgent, but there is a worried edge to her voice.

"What's up?" I whisper.

"Johnny had just barely dropped me off at my dorm building," she starts. I stifle a groan as I rub the tiredness from my eyes. My ability has returned, but the recent ambush didn't leave me unbruised.

"Kate, did something happen between you two that can't be discussed in the morning?" I whisper.

"No, it's not about Johnny and I... I think I might've seen an I.O.E. vehicle on our way back to campus," she says. My heart drops and I quickly pull my phone from my ear to check if I got any notifications of any transportations happening. When I come up blank, I put the phone back to my ear while glancing over at May Eve.

"Meet me at the bunker," I whisper. She sounds as if she's about to say something else but I hang up. I throw on some of my nearest pants as quietly as I can before grabbing some tennis shoes and socks and, still in my pajama t-shirt, I walk out of the room. I race to the stairs and slip on my socks and shoes before I race down the stairs and outside into the freezing night air. I don't let it affect me though as I race to the next building. I go straight to room 17B, but before I enter, I pause to throw my hair in a ponytail and take a deep breath.

I quietly test the door, and when it opens, I step into the dorm room to see large figures in each bed, in a deep sleep. I glance at the one to the left, recognizing the dirty blond hair and noticing his shirt is off, revealing completely unwounded shoulders.

I step to the other bed and give Jesse a little shake. He jumps, smacking my hands away.

"Ow! Bloody hell!"

"Shh!" I say harshly, hitting his stomach, which is so rock hard he probably didn't even feel it. His eyes widen.

"Amee?" He whispers before glancing at Shad. He shifts towards me, looking back at me. "What is it?"

"Shh. Come on, I need you," I mouth motioning to the door while stepping away from him.

"This has to do with I.O.E. right?" He says, his brows knitting.