Chapter 37

Kate

Amee approaches me with an air of guard, and she glances around at our surroundings. I wonder how she could look so strong if she has a headache anywhere near as terrible as mine.

"Hey," I barely get out before she shakes her head.

"Not here. I told Jesse to meet us in the bunker," she says. She doesn't even stop as she turns to the right and marches towards the forest. I follow after her. The hike through the forest is even more miserable than usual, and I have to stop constantly to catch my before and over come multiple dizzy spells. When we reach the entrance to the bunker, I take all the time I can before Jesse arrives, looking just as serious as Amee.

"All right?" He says.

"Let's go in," Amee says. Jesse and I follow her into the bunker and past the large boulder. She heads straight for her lair, where the revenge job against I.O.E. is evident. When the door is closed, they both turn to me.

"What happened last night?" Amee asks.

"More importantly, are you hurt in anyway?" Jesse asks, giving Amee a look. I shake my head.

"I can't remember a lot, but May Eve wanted to go for a walk, and we couldn't find you," I say, pointing to Amee, "and Irene didn't want to join us. I remember..." My cheeks go warm when I remember how many times I mocked whined about Johnny. Ugh, I'm so stupid. "I was just venting to May Eve basically the whole time, and this is where is starts to get blurry." I run both my hands through my hair, my brain throbbing as I try to think. "I was saying stuff..."

"Shit, you didn't tell her anything did you?" Amee asks.

"Calm down. May Eve's cool, we can probably talk to her," Jesse says to Amee.

"No, this is bad. We can't keep doing this; I already said so shit to her when I was drunk and I can't imagine Kate having any self-control while she's drunk," she says. I glare at her.

"Thank you," I say. Jesse rolls his eyes.

"We'll deal with May Eve later. What else do you remember, Kate?" Jesse says. I frown in concentration.

"I was talking to May Eve... and..." my eyes widen in fear. "Oh, shit," I mutter.

"What? What?!" Amee says urgently, hurting my head. Jesse looks at her and motions with his hands to calm down. She ignores him.

"I can't remember what I said but I was feeling really emotional about Johnny not knowing that my parents were murdered," I say.

"Okay, well that's probably what you were talking about, so it isn't too bad."

"Isn't too bad?!" I cut in.

"Unless you mentioned Cassidy," Amee continues. My eyes widen as I suddenly remember something.

"Cassidy! I remember seeing her last night, but I thought it was just a dream."

"Well, we saw an I.O.E. truck," Amee says. My heart slams against my chest.

"What?!"

"Alright, let's just take one thing at a time. Kate, what do you remember seeing?" Jesse says.

"Well, it all gets really blurry after talking with May Eve. I just remember being in May Eve's car and... seeing her silhouette bun... outside the window." The imagine sends shivers all throughout my body. Jesse, I guess, can tell that I'm freaking out because he talks to me in a soothing voice.

"Well, there's no need to worry, because you're here, you're safe, you still have your ability, right?" He says and I nod my head. He is right, I am still alive and that's all that matters.