Chapter 36

Clint

"I'm glad we got this past us, because I would never do that to you," Jesse says. I nod my head.

"Of course, I know that. I was drunk last night and Amee... just..." I shut my mouth, remembering what Amee had said last night. It conflicts me all over again. Could I have been misreading things? Is she with someone else? It's sort of hard to tell.

"Did you make a pass at her last night?" Jesse asks. It somehow sounds worse in his British accent.

"No! I didn't... make a pass. I was drunk and... nothing came of it," I say. Jesse squints at me.

"She rejected you?" He says. I frown.

"No, there wasn't even anything to-" I decide to give up the act. Jesse knows a lot more embarrassing things about me than Amee blowing me off. For instance, my ex cheating on me with someone who could be her grandfather. "Okay, yeah, she rejected me." I say. Jesse's brows furrow in what seems like confusion.

"Huh," he says, almost to himself.

"What?" I say, annoyed.

"Nothing," he says quickly, "I just... could've sworn she really liked you." I'm not sure what to make of his comment so I take my keys from my pocket and step around him.

"Yeah, well it doesn't matter anymore. I'll see you later," I say, but stop with my hand on the handle of the driver's door of my car.

"Wait, Clint," Jesse says, turning and leaning on my car, "I think you should try again." He says and I'm shocked. I frown at him, getting the feeling that he and Amee talked about a little more than what Jesse said.

"What? Why?" My headache seems to throb more just from this topic of conversation.

"I can state for a fact that she isn't with anyone."

"How can you tell?" I ask. He hesitates.

"I just can," he says, and I can't help but scoff.

"Okay, I didn't realize you were in their circle of gossip," I say, smirking. He rolls his eyes.

"Mate, can you just trust me on this? I know she likes you," he says. I sigh and shake my head.

"We'll see about that. I'll see you later," I say, opening my door. He is about to turn away, but I call his name, remembering something from last night. "What happened to your car?" I ask.

"Oh, uh..." he says, looking away while scratching the back of his head, "it blew a tire; had to get it towed. I suppose it was a good thing, because I was driving in the wrong direction and I ended up meeting Amee on the road while she was walking to get May Eve and Kate," he says. I chuckle.

"Alone?" I say.

"Yeaaah, I ended up carrying Kate all the way to May Eve's car," he says, obviously feeling uncomfortable about the incident. I laugh.

"Did anyone think of calling Johnny? I bet he would've rushed right over from Wyoming," I mock. Jesse chuckles.

"Yeah, cheerio," he says before walking away. I get in my car and head over to Gracie's apartment. I replay the images of last night with Amee. I was confused in the moment but when I had woken up this morning with a nice headache it was suddenly clear to me. She was drunk, and she isn't interested. But after Jesse's comment... I'm confused all over again.

I ruffle my beard as I glance at the crook of my elbow of my arm that steers the wheel. I frown again at the small scab that has grown there. I remember first seeing it the other day, but in order for me to have a scab, it would mean that something must've punctured my skin. But I don't remember anything happening to my right there, let alone it being possible. My skin isn't invincible, but I've never been pricked by a torn or had a paper cut. In order for something to penetrate my skin, it would have to have an intense force behind it.