Chapter 93

Raevon

I don't bother seeing Jesse, Shad, and Clarity out the building, since they will be walking to the subway anyway, and from there will board a boat. This much I know because I had to pull some strings for them; their destination still remains unknown to me.

So as they say goodbye to Amee, I spend the time in my office, erasing every significant detail that may be harmful to us. But I pause when I scan the number of files printed out for each Deviant from this morning. Thirty-two? That's not right. There should've only been thirty-one. I examine each file before I'm led to Clint's files twice.

"Uh oh," I mutter to myself. I examine the first time his files were printed to see that at this time it was the ten Deviants who didn't care to hear the precautions working in the office at this time. I glance at my watch, but is there any way I could catch Clint? He should already be up in the air by now and from there his location is unknown to me. I sigh, holding the arrow over his file, which will tell me everything. Which Deviant reprinted Clint's new information? Why Clint's? I bite my lip fighting within myself. Clint should know about this, but when will I have a chance to tell him? I have no idea what airport he will arrive at even if I did see his location, and would Amee agree to go with me?

I jump with a start when I hear the door close, and I meet with Jesse's sapphire eyes. I turn back to the computer, swallowing hard.

"Is there something wrong with the boarding passes?" I ask, erasing all the evidence of each Deviant aside from Clint's.

"No, I just wanted to..." he starts, his brogue thick. I glance at him and am surprised to see a look of guilt behind his eyes. "I wanted to apologize for what I said. About everything. I was just... I was just angry about how it all came out." My cheeks go warm at the thought of the night in his car, and I quickly advert my eyes from his.

"You don't need to explain anything to me, Jesse," I say. "You don't owe me one..." I force myself to look into his eyes despite how vulnerable I feel. "I want you to know that that night wasn't planned. Of course, I wanted to, but I wasn't expecting it to go like that. I... I had, had an incident with my cousin and I wasn't thinking about everything I was doing." A wondering look crosses his face. "That moment with you was... selfish on my part. It was-" I inwardly groan and turn from him, not even sure how I'm trying to explain what that night meant to me. I feel his hand graze my arm, but his touch is gentle. Innocent. Unlike the last time we were speaking alone. I turn and see his deep eyes staring into mine, unreadable.

"I'm not sure what that night means to you, or even what it means to me," he whispers, "and maybe everything I think and feel just makes me naïve and stupid," a frustrated look passes his face before he continues, "but I don't want this to be the last time I see you." A lump forms in my throat, preventing me to admit the same thing. I want to see him again, and I want to feel what he makes me feel again. He removes his hand from my arm, his eyes full of sadness and regret before he turns and walks out. I lean in the door frame and watch him take the Colt Diamondback I gave him and conceal it. Before he exits the apartment, we meet eye contact again, and this time it gives me hope.

I stand there for a moment after he leaves before Amee finally turns to me.

"I hope you know that I still plan on exposing everything about I.O.E.," she says firmly, placing her gun in her belt. I take a slow breath.

"A month ago, I would've been devoted to stopping you anyway I could..." I say. I wonder about Desmond; where he is, how he's doing. My heart aches to see him, to know if he's safe. "But not now. Not with the relentless new perspective I've been forced to see." Amee stays quiet, watching me. "I know I have to do more than run and hide in order to make up for all the innocent lives I've handed to Jacob." I look into Amee's bright gray and gold eyes, a new type of thrill running through my bones. All my life all I ever wanted was to please Jacob and to leave each mission successful. It was exciting, knowing that I didn't know what other challenges I'd be able to overcome. But the real challenge was cutting myself off from Jacob. And now it's time for my next mission. "I think I'd be a great asset to help you achieve your goal," I say to her. Her lips break into a sly, almost sinister smile, her excitement radiant.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go."

A/N:

The end! Yay! 😁😁 I'm so happy!

Was the ending what you expected?

Feelings on Raevon and Jesse?

Was the end sentence perfect? 😁

Can't wait until the second book!

Just a reminder that some things might not quite match up between this book and the second, but that's because any flaws I find I'll be fixing it on my original document, not on wattpad :D But thank you for your patience.

And thank you all SOOO much for reading, voting and commenting! I hope that you've enjoyed this book enough to read the second one, you all- some of you that is :D- are in for a great surprise!