Chapter 20

Amee

Johnny and I walk away from them. The thought of what we are doing to Dean Curtis behind Gracie's back king of sends guilt to my stomach but then I think of all the things that Gracie could do with Dean behind Clint's back and that makes me feel less guilty. He deserves better.

"Do you think he'll still want us to look into Dean Curtis?" I ask Johnny.

"I don't see why not." I look at him and see him staring in Clint's direction, in deep thought. "Hey, I'll see you later. If you see Kate will you tell her I'm trying to get a hold her?"

"Sure thing," I say as he walks away. Did mentioning the AceofSpades emailer get him thinking about his sister? It would drive me crazy to wait this long for news on my lost family. I reach up and feel the ugly rock pendant that rests upon my chest. What if I had a source to give me information about my lost family? Does my father even know I exist? If he does, did he want nothing to do with me like Delilah told me? Or was that just another one of her lies?

I jump when I feel a buzzing in my pocket, and I pull my phone out to see Kate's contact calling me.

"Amee? I need you to meet me at the bunker right now. I need to tell you something," Kate says immediately after I say hello. My stomach drops at the thought of anything happening with I.O.E. Why is she at the bunker? I quickly scan the area around me but when I don't see a shiny bald head and vicious black eyes, I force myself to calm down.

"What is it? Did something happen?" I ask Kate.

"It's nothing I can tell you over the phone. I just need to see you," she says.

"I'm on my way," I say and hang up. I make my way to the forest as fast as I can without drawing attention to myself. When I reach the tree line, I check to see if anyone is watching before I dash into the forest. I run from there and I reach the sound trap in a short amount of time. I cross the wire and head towards the entrance to the bunker where I see Kate waiting for me. I scan her for any injuries but all I notice is how she rings her hands with nervousness.

"What's wrong?" I ask. She steps away from the bunker and I follow her.

"Okay, um... you know that woman that was on your billboard?" She says.

"What about her?" I ask, which seems to make Kate even more nervous.

"I saw her today," she says. My stomach drops.

"Where?" I ask, beginning to feel slightly sick to my stomach.

"At the Bakery Shop," she says. I turn to the bunker and walk towards it.

"That's not good. She's not here for shits and giggles," I say, thinking of Scott's ability that he showed off last night.

"Amee, wait!" Kate says, grabbing my arm. I turn to her, confused. "There is something else..." She lets go of my arm and runs her fingers through her hair. That's when I notice that the blue and white jacket she wears is much too large for her. I squint at her and point to the jacket.

"Whose..." My eyes widen as I suddenly recognize it. "That's Jesse's jacket," I comment, hoping like hell she'll correct me.

"Yes," she says after a long hesitation. My mouth drops with shock. "Amee, let me explain! He was there when I saw her, he seen my ability when it was out of control!"

"What the hell?!" I whisper as quietly as I can. "Did you bring him here?"

"Yes, but that was because-"

"She would've been stuck in the men's loo otherwise," I hear a British accent say from behind me. I close my eyes and take a deep breath before turning around to face Jesse, who leans against the cement wall of the bunker.

"Jesse, I really appreciate what you did for Kate, but you shouldn't be here. She shouldn't have brought you here," I say as calmly as I can.

"Yeah, I know. She told me all about how peeved you'd be," he says. I turn and glare at Kate before looking back at Jesse.

"I think you should leave," I say, folding me arms.

"I don't think you want me to leave," he says. "I know too much now."

"I don't think so."

"I know about Kate's ability."

"It was a trick of the light."

"I know that you have an ability," he says. I silently curse Kate.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I persist. He frowns, but the corner of his lip twitches, making him look like he is about to flirt with me.

"Wait, so she," he points at Kate, "thinks she's batty because she has an ability and you," he points at me, "are making me sound batty because I know she has an ability. Is something off here?" I can't help but roll my eyes.

"You don't know shit." I turn to walk away, heading back to the campus.

"I know what Scott did last night," he says, stopping me in my tracks. I turn back to him, still irritated.

"What Scott did last night hardly concerns me."

"That's not what you thought last night. You seemed very concerned last night," he says. I stare at him, refusing to speak. "I don't know what you and Kate are doing but I want to be a part of it," he says. I shake my head, infuriated at this whole situation.

"You wouldn't be able to comprehend what I'm doing," I say.

"I don't know, I might," he says, holding his hand out as if considering the situation. He steps towards me. "What if I told you I could do what Scott did last night?" I roll my eyes, unconvinced. He takes another step toward me. "What if I told you I could do what Kate did this morning?" I stare into his deep, sapphire blue eyes, reading the seriousness behind them. He is now only a foot away from me. "What about you, Amee?" I begin to think about what he is saying. I glance at Kate, and then back at Jesse. What are the chances? "What's your ability?" He asks.

A/N:
So here is the chapter ya'll been waiting for! But I kind of left you on another cliffhanger, huh?

What do you think Jesse thinks Kate and Amee are doing? Is he in over his head?

How about that Cassidy chick? Thoughts?