Chapter 11

Clint

Ignoring the argument that's taking place, I quickly finish the sketch of a building that's for my class. When I look at my watch, I realize that it's past ten. I look up to see Amee- who's sitting directly in front of me- quickly look down at her schoolwork. I get the bad thought that I wish she hadn't looked away.

I shake the thought from my head and get Jesse's attention. I tap my watch and he nods his head before we both start packing our stuff.

"We've got to go," I say to the room. We wave goodbye to everyone before walking out of the library and towards the front exit of the university where I agreed to meet up with Gracie. It's completely silent on the way there until we spot Gracie. She frowns at me as we approach. She gives Jesse a stiff smile before grabbing my hand and pulling us out of Jesse's earshot.

"What is he doing here?" She whispers.

"He's coming with us," I state.

"Clint, he's not like us," she says through gritted teeth.

"I don't care. I don't trust this guy," I snap at her.

"We'll be using our skills the entire time."

"So, then he'll find out. I don't care. I am taking him with us." She folds her arms and glares at me before walking towards my vehicle. I motion Jesse to follow us and Gracie tells us to head for the lake. It's quiet the whole way to the lake as well.

Stonegate Lake is surrounded by trees, so much that it's easy to miss the exit off the highway. Driving on a long, graveled road from the highway, we turn into a small parking area where the very small lake and beach can be viewed. We pass multiple picnic tables with garbage surrounding them- most likely from a party that happened here last night. Since it's cold, the only people occupying the beach is a young couple in the distance making out.

Gracie leads us along the forest line that circles the lake until we reach a small, beaten dock that I know she likes to jump off of. Jesse stands a distance away, awkwardly rocking back and forth on his heels while scanning the area. I being to feel guilty and stupid that I even made him come with me when Gracie's phone rings.

"Hello?" She says in an excited voice. I look at Jesse, annoyed and he nods his head in understanding. "What?" Gracie says with a disappointed voice. "But he agreed to meet you and everything," she says. There's a long pause before I shake my head and begin walking back to the car. "Clint! Clint, wait!" Gracie calls.

"I'm gonna... yeah," Jesse says awkwardly, points to the car and walks ahead. I turn to see Gracie jogging towards me.

"I'm sorry Clint, He couldn't make it. But please, let's reschedule-"

"Gracie, let's go out to dinner tonight," I cut in. She pauses from confusion.

"What?"

"Let's go to dinner. And not talk about Dean." She shifts from one foot to the other.

"Clint, why are-"

"I can feel you slipping from me Gracie. Can I do nothing to stop it?" I say. She wraps her arms around herself.

"Babe, you're not losing me..." She mumbles.

"Then come to dinner with me tonight and not mention Dean at all." She hesitates before nodding her head.

"Of course, babe." She grabs my hand and steps towards me before kissing me. Even as she kisses me her mind seems distant. I pull away to see her unusual water blue eyes before grabbing her hand and leading her to the vehicle.

"Are you still meeting the bastard?" Jesse asks after we drop Gracie off at her apartment. I watch her walk into the building, looking at her phone.

"I don't know, man..."

"You shouldn't. Mate, is it not clear to you what is going on?"

"I know! I just... I don't want to push her away farther-" he rolls his eyes before I quickly go on "-I want to make sure. I don't want to lose her because of accusations and paranoia." It's silent as we drive the way back to the university. "What if... alright, what if we told Johnny? He could look up Dean Curtis for us. Remember what those women were saying back at the nightclub? There's something not right with this guy."

"I'd be more interested," he says, though it doesn't help my mood.

"Let's talk to him later today."

A/N:

Theories on Dean Curtis?

What are your thoughts on Gracie?