Chapter 17

Raevon

He sits on a bench seat next to Shad and Justin and I notice him finally glance up my way. I smile at him before slowly spinning in a circle, moving my hips to the music in a way that has made a few men groan. When I am facing him again, he is smiling. My smile gets wide, and I subtly wave him over, but it doesn't pass Shad's notice. I twirl this time, more quickly causing my dress to flow up, revealing more of my legs. I look over my shoulder to see Shade give Jesse a shove, but I can tell he didn't need any help. He is still giving me that do-me-now smile. As he walks towards me. I twirl around again and pretend to lose my balance. Jesse quickly grabs my arm and I fell his hand touch my side. My heart does a little dance, but I ignore it the best I can.

"How much have you drank tonight?" He asks.

"Would you believe me if I said zip?" I say as the loud music fades into one with a slower beat. I feel Jesse pull me closer and I giggle to cover up my sudden loss of breath. I place my arms on his shoulders even though what I really want to do is get as far away from him as possible. Why am feeling this way? What is wrong with me? I can't ever remember feeling this way on any other assignment.

"I would not," he says, his voice low, almost a whisper. We slowly turn in a circle, but our movements are a lot more tamed than what mine were you a minute ago.

"And how much have you drank?" I ask. That same do-me-now smile.

"You intrigue me, Raven." His deep stare is almost penetrating. It suddenly becomes hard to be May Eve.

"Why's that?" I ask, trying to sound playful.

"I'm stilling figuring it out," he says.

"I'm just an average girl," I say. He smiles.

"I doubt that."

"You have no proof to accuse otherwise," I tease. He raises an eyebrow.

"I'll accept that challenge," he says. At that moment I hear shouts and laughter from the crowd near the fire and I turn to see Amee laughing at someone while leaning on one of her classmates, whose hand is closer to her ass than what she'd allow if she were sober.

"I should get her home," I say, grateful for a reason to step away from Jesse. My mind immediately clears, and I find that breathing becomes easier.

"Do you need a lift?" He asks. I shake my head,

"The campus is two minutes away. I'll be fine," I say. I wink at him before turning away, his do-me-now still stuck in my head. An unfamiliar feeling of frustration sets in me. Jesse is like a puzzle that's impossible to put together. Why can I not play my part when I'm near him? I'm supposed to connect with him and discover him, not the other way around. I am the one that's supposed to get under his skin, not he under mine.

Reaching Amee I pull her off the guy, so she leans against me instead. I recognize the man that she laughs at as Scott, a person that I haven't yet tested.

"You know, you're really short," Amee says. I look up at Amee, who happens to be one of the tallest girls in the university, to see her squinting at Scott. I can't help but smile. The crowd around us ooh's at Amee's insult.

"Alright, I think it's time to blow," I tell Amee.

"Okay, okay so you're not impressed with my height!" Scott says, raising his hands in the air in defeat. "But just because my growth may be stunt, doesn't mean it's not made up in length," he says with a sinister grin. The entire crowd bursts out laughing at his great comeback.

"What?!" Amee shouts. The crowd gets a little quiet to hear Amee's reply. "Do you think that's all that makes a man?"

"Well..." Scott says with a swagger manner, "maybe not all, but a damn good part of it." He winks at Amee.