Chapter 84

Raevon

My throat is dry as I approach the door, remembering what happened just the other day. I'm not sure what to expect this time, but this is Desmond. He's never turned me away. But he also never told me to get out before, and he's never intervened on a mission before.

I knock on the door and it takes longer than usual for him to answer, but when he does, I see that he isn't in his pajamas like he usually is at this hour. He looks disheveled but when he sees me, he smiles. He pulls me into a hug, and I try to get all I can out of it before he lets go.

"Come in," he says, looking around outside. I step inside and he closes the door.

"Desmond... I just want to talk about what happened last time we saw each other," I say. He looks a little uncomfortable before he turns and walks up his stairs. "Do you have a girl here or something?" I ask. He laughs at that.

"No. Come on up to my room," he says. I follow him up to his room where clothes are laid out over his bed, all his dresser drawers are opened as well as his closet. He begins to fold his clothes and stuff them into a large duffle bag. I feel sickened with myself that I don't know what has been going on in his life. But when I'm here he never lets the conversation stay on him for too long. He always turns it back to me. I watch him, his determined face and his urgent light blue eyes. They have just a hint of silver to them, which is the thing that makes them so peculiar.

"You know A.O.S. personally, don't you?" I ask him. He looks at me, confused for only a second.

"Oh, you mean Chase? He's only my best friend. Thank you for not going after him by the way," he says. I shrug my shoulders.

"I think you knew I wouldn't have gone after him after what happened between us," I say.

"Yeah," he says, half-heartedly. He walks into his bathroom and comes out carrying his toothbrush, comb, razor, and soaps.

"Are you going somewhere, Dez?" I ask. He spins to me.

"Um... yeah. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. I actually just barely made the decision." He turns back to the bag and continues to pack with haste. I hear a phone vibrate to my right and I look to see Desmond's phone set on his dresser. I lift it and stare into the screen cover of Desmond wrapping his arm around a blonde-haired girl with a high ponytail, and he looks at her with an admiration that's past the point of friendship. My heart pounds against my chest and I look at Desmond as I set his phone down.

"I have covered for you and your friend, Desmond. But you do know the warning I gave you back when I was fifteen, right?" I ask him. He looks at me, frowning slightly.

"You mean how we could never be seen with each other or I might end up a target to your enemies?" He asks, then chuckles. "Of course. Do you remember what I did?" He asks, a teasing smile on his face. My lips twitch as I recall the way he laughed when I told him that. But he's never seemed to take I.O.E. as serious as he should've.

"Dez, where are you going?" I ask as he turns to continue packing.

"I'm... I'm going to go after her," he says, distracted.

"Desmond... How can you be sure that this girl isn't trying to target you?" He turns to me, frowning.

"What? Do you recognize her or something? Do you know about her?" He asks. I nod my head. A smile appears on his face. "Yeah, I'm sure," he says. I can't help smiling and shake my head. But then I remember why I came here in the first place. My smile fades.

"What is it?" He asks, pausing from his packing.

"You will be now. A target," I say. He frowns.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean after tonight I'll be done for," I say. His eyes widen slightly.

"You're going rogue?" He asks. I nod my head. He bursts out laughing and pulls me into a air-squeezing hug. "I knew it! I knew you were going to do it this time. I knew the situation with Amee Woods was too much for you not to change."

"Yeah," I say and pull away from him. "Desmond, I don't think you realize what this means-"

"Of course, I do!"

"This may put your entire family in danger." He grabs both of my shoulders and looks at me seriously.

"Raevon, my family will be fine. I've been taking some precautious with them, alright? I'm not exactly headed to wonderland, you know?" He says and I chuckle. I touch his hand on my shoulder and his other hand touches the back of my neck. His gaze is soft and warming, his lips are curved in the tiniest smile. "You're going to change the world, Raevon," he whispers. I look down and swallow hard. I don't even know what will happen to me after tonight, let alone me making a difference that will impact the world. I don't even know if I'll ever be able to see him again. Desmond places his hand under my chin and lifts my face up, so I stare into his bright blue eyes that give away his Deviant side. "And I'm going to be right next to you. I'm leaving now, but this isn't going to be the last time we see each other." He pulls me closer to him and presses his lips to my forehead, and I sigh, soaking in the safety he puts off for as long as I can.

***

I approach the door, my heart beating fast and my breath short. This time the lights are on and I knock. It's quiet on the inside for quite a long time before I see a shadow move behind the glass on the door. The door opens and the second we meet eyes his gun is on me.

"Easy," I  say, raising my empty palms I'm the air. "I'm not here to hurt you." He glares at me with skepticism.

"Why are you here then?" He demands. I notice that he has a disheveled air about him as Desmond had. His blond hair is unkempt and there are dark circle under his deep blue eyes. Eyes that aren't as sapphire deep as Jesse's, but still painfully reminds me of him.

"I'm here to ask you a favor." He scoffs as if I made a joke. I point to my laptop case that I placed on the ground. "It's my laptop," I tell him, "go ahead and check." He doesn't though.

"What the hell do you want?" He snaps.

"My name is Raevon Knight. And I need your help to get out of I.O.E. and in exchange I'll give you access to every single file in its system." I smile when I see his gun lower the slightest.

A/N:

So, I'm really frustrated about every scene that has to do with Desmond because I don't know how the end resolute will turn out until about the third book.......... Can any of you relate to my frustration?? Because if you can then I know you'll understand when things just don't add up later on. :D