four

Staring at my own reflection on my vanity mirror, I grimaced. Even with eight hours of sleep last night, I looked ready to drop. My face with professionally done makeup had never looked so lifeless and dull. My cheeks were puffy and my eyes were swollen. Most importantly, my brain was discomposed.

After dozing off by accident last night, I wake up with a laptop still hidden underneath my pillow. I guessed that explained the sensation of resting my head on a log the entire night. I remembered carefully sitting up in my bed and tried not to wake up Amanda. I took out my laptop and got back on the research I left unfinished last night.

My laptop was on sleep mode so it automatically took me back to where I left off but to my surprise, the blog of the girl named Amber had no longer existed. Her site was to quote the google people's statement 'shut down' for the reasons only God knew. But I did not have that much time to look into that matter before Amanda woke up.

"Is there something wrong, Miss? You look unhappy." Amanda said, snapping me out of my thought, "Is the hair not to your liking?"

"No, Amanda. I love it." I lied. I meant the way she did my hair was perfectly fine and the hair sure looked amazing. It was me. The face of the hair, that was wrong.

"Then what's the matter, Miss?"

She was not going to let it go, was she?

"I just have a lot in my mind right now but it's nothing important." I sighed. 

"I see." She nodded knowingly, "I know it can be overwhelming but I am certain Master Liam is going to have a hard time keeping his eyes and hands off of you tonight, Miss. You look absolutely heavenly."

Her assumption made me want to vomit.

With a sharp exhale, I mumbled, "Right..."

I and Amanda stood in silence for a while but then a soft knock could be heard from the other side of the wall and the door to my bedroom was widened open.

"London, I- Oh my god, sweetheart. You look stunning!"

In my imagination, my eyes rolled at her exclaim so far back that I could literally see the inside of my skull. But in reality, I just smiled thinly. Mama's attention lasted on me for about three seconds before her eyes shifted toward Amanda.

"Could you give us a moment?" She asked and Amanda politely nodded before she took her exit out the door.

What does she want, was the first thought that entered my mind. The second one, however, did not get a chance to follow as mama gather her courage and spoke up.

"Aren't you excited?" Mama mumbled with a small smile.

"Excited what?" I said uninterestingly.

"For the birthday dinner, of course." She grinned, "I see you have been putting a lot of work into this. I just happened to pass by the dining room and the table setting was spot on."

I glanced at her and decided to show my appreciation by flashing her a quick smile back. But that was about it. I did not feel like talking. Especially, not with her.

"You said you wanted to talk yesterday." She heaved a big sigh, finally giving in.

"Yes, I do."

At a glance, I knew she could read my mind. She knew what I was thinking and all the things I had been bottling up inside of me. I wanted to say all that but of course, I did not get a chance to.