forty-one

The next morning, I wake up to an empty bed which I found quite surprising. The memory of last night came flashing through my mind and I bursted out chuckling at my cringe-self for calling Liam, daddy. Thank God, he wasn't totally creeped out by it or else, Alisha and I were going to have a serious talk the next time she came over.

I got out of bed and headed for a quick shower. I got dressed in a casual shorts and a t-shirt before headed downstairs. It was only eight in the morning, so as I expected, the house wasn't too lively. I made my way to the kitchen first thing, thinking of getting a quick snack right before our regular breakfast meal as I would usually do.

"Morning."

I stumbled two steps back from the doorway, seeing Giovanna sitting at the kitchen island. She was holding a cup of tea in between her hands with a big mischievous smirk on her face.

"Morning..." I greeted her back, almost sounding like I was asking her a question which she immediately took it from there.

"There was a heavy thunder storm last night so the boys and I decided to sleep over." She explained herself.

"Right. Safety first." I agreed.

"I know." She quickly nodded, "Lately, the weather has been crazy around here. Did you know that one of our gardeners was this close to get struck by the lighting last night."

I sure didn't.

"Wow. Was it that bad?" I gasped loudly, trying to match her enthusiasm.

"Yes. It was! You didn't hear?"

I shook my head, "I went to bed early. Maybe that's why."

"Really?" She hummed, her eyes narrowed suspiciously before adding, "Because Jack passed by your room last night and the light was on until like...three in the morning."

"Hmm..interesting." I just shrugged and dimissed the conversation so fast.

While we continued to chat randomly for some more, I cooked myself a bowl of oatmeal and remembered to make extra, just in case Liam was awake and was starving as I was.

Speaking of Liam, just right when I thought of him, he made an unusual entrance into the kitchen. His eyes caught mine and he took a seat on the empty stool next to Giovanna.

"Look who's here." I turned half way in Giovanna's direction— noticed how she was smirking and motioning her head toward Liam, "It's your daddy."

A furious tide of embarrassment abruptly swept over me in a single dreadful instant, and I cast a quick look at Liam.

I blinked my eyes open.

"I will never, ever sleep with you again." I grunted.

The relaxed look on his face gradually disappeared as it was being replaced with a strain expression before he turned to his younger sister.

"You're so dead, Giovanna Luciano."

With a fake dramatic gulp and a relieved sigh, Giovanna rolled her eyes at Liam. She then noted to me

"Relax, Lo. This isn't the first time your boy-toy comes to me for an advice."

"What?" I shot her a look of disbelief.