forty-four

The car door was slammed shut from my side and my body jolted in reflection. I watched attentively as Travis made his way around the vehicle and stood next to the other guy, exchanging a few words before he hopped in the passenger seat. The guy soon followed him as he slid into the driver's seat. Travis looked over at him and gave him a signal with his hand which he automatically understood and kicked off the engine.

The car sped down the main street, making its way smoothly through the traffic before it turned a corner. Glancing out my window, I noticed three police cars on the opposite side of the road. My eyes tracked the black vehicles before they took our previous parking spot and parked right across the street from the café.

I blinked twice and glanced over at the guys.

Still a little pissed off, Travis had his gaze fixed on the road. His lips tightened into a thin line when he noticed my intense stare.

"I told you to wait in the car." I bit out.

From where I was sitting, I could feel the tension emanating from him but he had no other choice but to hold his tongue. He looked like he wanted to yell at me so bad if only I wasn't his boss's wife.

I swallowed a thick lump of saliva down my dry throat and just leaned back in my seat.

_______________

For over an hour, I did nothing. The guys had their focus fixed on driving and the only thing they seemed to care about was to get me to the destination as soon as possible.

The air around us was so tight and quiet, you could have heard a pin drop. When the traffic light finally turned green, the guy slapped his feet on the pedal and made a sharp left turn, speeding down the narrow street. My back and head slammed into the seat. Upon glancing outside the window, I saw nothing but a forest. The street was completely empty like in the movie World-War Z, vaguely after the zombies attacked.

Another fifteen passed by and I was a hundred percent sure that our final destination was nowhere close to home. When the car finally came to an abrupt stop, I turned my head left and right. My jaw suddently dropped in awe at the view.

Nestled away in its sylvan setting with a perfect panoramic view of the quiet wood, there was a stunning courtyard house standing mighty tall with an all-glass enclosure on one side. My pounding heart began to slow down its pace at the warm, homey ambiance the place gave off.

Suddenly, the door to my side was yanked open and my hand flew up to my chest.

"God, you scared me!" I yelped, but seeing how Travis's strained expression didn't sway one bit, I regained my composure. Well, that was embarrassing.

"Follow me, Miss." He said. Sounded more like a command than a request.

Climbing out the backseat of the car obediently, I stood up, feeling my feet upon the gravel. When Travis turned on his heels and started heading inside, I did the same.

"Quickly, please, Miss." He rushed.

My eyes rolled silently, "Why are we rushing so much again?" I groaned from behind.

When we arrived at the front door, Travis scanned his fingertip on the keypad and the door automatically slid open. The second we stepped inside, my heart raced to twice its regular speed at the sight of the place's interior.

Who owned this place?

"This way, Miss." Travis muttered, snapping me out of my dream thought while he moved his way through the house as if he owned it.