I'm Coming Home (Reprise)

AU: Cady was a Military Doctor who's now back home struggling with the consequences of PTSD 

Note: I will mention panic attacks, and flashbacks but it will be more of a what's happening in their life and then Cady wakes up from a nightmare being scared and then some cute stuff happens. It's a little shorter than usual but it was just a little idea I had.

Janis knew it wouldn't be normal as soon as Cady fully comes back home. She knew the events of what happened during her time in the military will haunt her. But that didn't make the situation itself any easier.

The first few weeks were okay, but as soon as Cady really got to process what happened and got the chance to look back at everything, the mood started to change. It started with nightmares but then quickly further evolved into flashbacks and severe panic attacks. For the first time, Janis was really glad she got a job that didn't require her to leave the house. That way she could be there for Cady when things got rough.

They tried to hide it from Amelia as much as they could but she was smart. She knew something was going on. But how do you explain trauma to an innocent eight year old kid? She still tried to make Cady feel better by drawing her pictures, DEMANDING to play and watch Disney movies with her and most of all pretending to be bad at math. All of that just to keep her mind off of things that could trigger her.

It got better when she started therapy but the nightmares were still a big problem. They never talked about what happened, not about what happened back in Iraq and not about what happens in her nightmares. Janis respected it. Cady would come to her if she was ready to talk, but it still worried her.

They were glad when they got past three am but mostly both of them only got 2-3 hours of sleep. So it was no surprise that Janis got awoken by Cady screaming from the top of her lungs, quickly silenced by her hands clasped over her mouth praying that she didn't wake Amelia up. Still she was breathing heavily, her whole body was shaking and she was covered in sweat.

Janis sat up pushing the covers away from them whispering softly "Hey, hey it's okay."

Cady backed away looking at her in terror, still a little disoriented until she realized it was just her. Janis slowly moved forward again, still murmuring soft words to her and guided her Cadys hands away from her face, taking them into her own, worried that she was going to pass out.

"It's okay Cady breathe.." She moved closer to Cady careful to not trigger her anymore until it finally was save to put her arms around her, pulling her into her embrace. "..Breathe with me, okay?"

Janis started to take deep breaths and Cady tried to mimic them as best as she could, calming down the tiniest bit with each breath. It was something Janis always did as she started getting panic attacks. It made calming down way easier for Cady which she was very thankful for.

Soon her breath was back to somewhat normal Janis started to speak again.

"You're save Peanut. I won't let anything happen to you."

"I- I- I'm sorry." Cady choked out, feeling guilty for always keeping Janis awake at night.

"Don't be sorry Caddie." Janis planted a gentle kiss onto her forehead. "It's okay."

"No it's not-"

"Mommy?" A tiny voice coming from the hallway interrupted them.

Janis and Cady both simultaneously looked into the direction the voice was coming from. It was Amelia, standing somewhat scared in the doorway. "Are you okay?"

Janis looked at Cady, who was clearly unable to get a word out. "Everything's fine honey. Mom just had a nightmare.." Cady let out a tiny sob again burying her face into the fabric of Janis shirt. Janis started to comb softly through Cadys hair again, before looking back at Amelia. "Go back to sleep Honey. I'll tell you everything tomorrow, okay..?"

Amelia frowned clearly not satisfied with Janis' answer and made her way up to their bed with tiny steps. She crawled up onto the bed and looked Janis dead in the eye. "No." Then she squeezed herself between them and put her little arms around Cadys waist cuddling further into her.

It actually coaxed a little laugh out of Cady who gently hugged her back giving her a little kiss onto the top of her head. She was still shaky, but now that her family was there she was a lot calmer and felt a lot safer.

"I love you mamma."

Cady genuinely smiled at that. "I love you too honey.." Cady breathed as Janis put her arms around both of them.

They stayed like that for a while until Amelias eyes grew heavy again.

"Okay off to bed with you. You and mamma need to sleep." Janis was about to pick up Amelia to bring her back to bed but the little girl just tightened her grip around Cady.

"No." She said firmly. "I'll protect mamma from more nightmares." Janis heart melted at an instant. Their daughter really was the sweetest girl in the world.

Cady and Janis both gave each other a look, knowing very well that they won't be able to convince her otherwise. So Janis gave in whispering a little 'okay' laying back down, opening her arms for Cady and Amelia to cuddle into. Cady ended up curled up into Janis side, her head resting on her chest, while Amelia was laying ontop of her, holding tightly onto Cadys hand.

She gave both of them a kiss on the forehead and whispered "I love you both.." before slowly drifting off to sleep. This time with no nightmares.

This is it. Next time it's going to be something different again, (one of the requests I still have) aka nothing depressing xD anyways as always I hope you liked it, I hope you have an amazing day and until next time, bye.♥️