And The Winner Is... (What Happened At The Academy Awards 1)

Considering that the Oscars took place just a couple of days ago... have a one shot about it. This one's set in 1950 because let's be real the Academy Awards just turned into an absolute shit show over the years and back then it at least actually had a structure and class.

If we let out the sexism and add a little inclusion I would rather prefer the Academy Awards like they were held in the 50s and even early 2000s for that matter. Anyways here are some disclaimers:

- This Oneshot touches the topics: sexism, homophobia (mentioned) and death (mentioned)

- All the speeches and nominations are real and direct quotes from the 22nd academy awards

- The Main Characters speech is a mix between my own words and Frances McDormands speech at the 90th Academy Awards for best actress

- I'm very aware that this speech wouldn't have happened in the 50s but please let me have my fun

- I do not support anything Paul Douglas stands for in this story

And lastly: don't worry. There are cute Cadnis moments and a few good people are making an appearance which I hope will put a little smile on your face.

Now. Enjoy!

Academy Awards 1950. It was the one event of the year everyone had marked in their calendars. The most important event of the movie industry and now, for the first time, broadcasted on live TV.

Janis was honored yet weirdly humbled to be here. Around all the A-List, high class, celebrities with decades of experience she felt small, even though she shouldn't be. She was respected enough to be invited to the twenty second Academy Awards event with her first nomination as an art director. This had to mean something... right?

She tried to smile as she slowly strode over the red carpet alongside her colleagues. The cast and crew of Little Women was a delight to work with. Beautiful people working on a beautiful project in all the ways a creator could imagine. Yet she didn't feel like she belonged here... or maybe it was just because her best friend and fellow art director, who was nominated with her, did not attend the actual event due to health issues.

Meaning he was drowning his sorrows in a bottle of whatever liquor he could find, mourning the loss of his long secret love.

He wanted to come out today. Make a stand. But Pneumonia was a bitch.

A wonderful human who brought so much love and joy into her best friend's life passed too soon.

She wanted to stay with Damian, support him through these dark times but he told her to go.

"You dreamed of this day your whole life. You started writing your Oscar speech as soon as you were able to.." he said to her with a weak smile. "Live this moment for the both of us."

So Janis did. Still walking through masses of People who probably didn't even know her name-

"Janis Sarkisian!" A voice said behind her with a little delighted squeal. "Oh don't get this the wrong way my dear, but you've got a classy chassis today. I almost gave up looking for you darling, where have you been?"

Janis smiled and quickly turned around. In front of her was no other than Doris Day, giving her her most dashing smile. "Says the absolute ginchiest woman in this room!"

It was true. Doris was beautiful. Not only her looks, her voice, her character, everything about her was breathtaking.

Janis went in to hug her tightly, abruptly stopping in her tracks as she took in her dress.