A Spiritual Promise

A short story about Janis and Cady getting married. (loosely based on a scene from 'the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo')

PS: This plays before same sex marriage was a thing... just read. It'll make sense.

"I love you" Cady said one night as they were laying together in the dark, late at night, neither of them sleeping. "Don't ever leave me."

She was laying with her head resting on Janis chest, feeling it slowly rising and falling underneath her and hearing her steady, soothing heartbeat. Janis fingertips were softly tracing little patterns onto her ribcage wandering up and down in a slow rhythm.

"Never." Janis whispered softly. "You should know by now that you won't get rid of me that easy."

Cady let out a quiet chuckle and looked up, right into those gorgeous chocolate brown eyes, glistening in the moonlight.

"I couldn't imagine a life without you." Janis went on with a smile. "The sun rises and sets with your smile Caddie. At least to me it does. Don't ever forget that." 

"Go on..." Cady grinned, before leaning up pressing a soft kiss onto Janis lips. 

"Will you marry me?" Janis whispered as they pulled away slightly.

Cady laughed, but Janis stopped her.

"No, Caddie I'm serious. You're the love of my life. I want to marry you."

"As much as I love the idea. I don't think that's how it works honey."

"Name one good reason." Janis said rolling her eyes.

"Do I seriously have to remind you that same sex marriages are still illegal?" Cady tried to sit up but Janis kept holding her close, far too comfortable with Cady in her arms to let her go.

"See that's where you're wrong. All marriage is, is a promise."

"I'm not really following." Cady said a bit confusedly.

"I'm talking about a spiritual promise. Let's get married. Right here, right now in this bed. Just you and me. No one else."

Cady still looked at her in confusion, not quite sure what her girlfriend was talking about. She loved the idea of marrying her. She loved Janis with her entire being and the thought of losing her, living a life without her, actually scared her. 

"Since when do we need anyones approval to do anything?" Janis went on further, her speech now slowly evolving into a little rant. "We never asked for it before. So why start now? Real marriage isn't about government documents or any religious approval. It's just about a promise... about love. So yes Cady Heron, I am asking you. Will you marry me?"

"Yes." Cady whispered at an instant looking up at Janis again. 

"Wait really?" She asked, weirdly surprised by Cady's answer.

"Did you seriously expect me to say no?"

Next thing she knew was Janis wrapping her arms around her, rolling on top of her as they kissed. She giggled against her lips, making Cady giggle along with her.

"So are we doing this now?" Cady murmured against her lips, pulling away just the tiniest bit.

"If you want to." Janis smiled, tucking a loose strand of hair behind Cady's ear. 

"Do you?"

"Yes." Janis sat up, taking Cady with her. Cady was now straddling her, her forehead resting against Janis'.

"Can we stay like this though?" she murmured, closing her eyes for a brief moment letting everything that was happening slowly sink in. 

"We can do this however we want, remember?" Janis laughed but Cady stayed silent for a while really giving this wedding a thought.

"Hey Janis?"

"Yes?"

"Can we still do some kind of ceremony?" Cady sat a little more straight then looking at her, far more serious than she did just a second ago.

Janis just smiled. "You gotta do that though I haven't been to a wedding for a while now."

"Okay." Cady said a smile forming across her lips. "Ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

Cady took a deep breath.

"Dearly beloved... aka us." Cady laughed at how weird this must sound. Two women in their thirties, giddy at the idea of getting married while sitting on their bed just in oversized shirts. "We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of... us."

"Amazing." Janis chuckled.

"Two people who come together to spend the rest of their lives with each other."

"Ideally" Janis commented again, earning a little shove from Cady.

"Shush... Now. Do you, Janis, take me, Cady, to be your wedded wife in... however that part goes... till death us part, as long as we shall live?"

Now Janis just smiled, the most loving smile Cady has ever seen. "I do." 

"Do I, take you, Janis, to be my wedded wife in... I really forgot what that part was... till death us part, as long as we shall live?"

"I do. Obviously."

There was a short silence between them before they realized...

"We don't have rings." 

They both laughed and looked around, trying to find something which would do the job.

"Here." Janis said suddenly, taking her hair out of her pony tail, wrapping her hair tie around Cadys ring finger. Cady giggled and did the same. 

To everyone else this would've looked stupid. But to Cady it was perfect. It was just them in their little New Yorker apartment, sitting in bed, only wearing oversized shirts which were worn out, using hair ties as wedding bands. There was nothing which would describe their relationship more than that. No wedding would be more perfect than this. 

They didn't need a romantic venue, fancy dresses, a big buffet and half the world population around them to be happy. They just needed each other.

"Oh shit." Janis said all of the sudden. 

"What?" 

"We forgot vows. Should we do vows?"

"Yeah."

"Who starts?"

Cady took a moment to think and then said, "I can do it." 

She took Janis hands into hers and started speaking. "Janis... I've loved you since the first time I saw you... just standing there leaning against one of those gross bathroom stalls, grinning back at me. And even though I haven't always shown it and have let other things get in the way, just know that I always loved you. And I will never stop loving you. I will love and support you, for ever."

Janis smiled tracing little patterns on Cady's hands with her thumb, tears pricking in the corner of her eyes.

"All my life I've always tried to be someone I'm not. Simply so that people like me. I never really got to show my true self... until you came along. You showed me that not everyone has to like me. Just a few good people who love and support me for who I am. You showed me how to be my true self. And I think loving you has been the truest thing about me."

There was more to a ceremony but they both didn't care about anything at that point. This was their wedding and they could do whatever they want...

Cady was also crying to hard to continue.

"Can I kiss the bride now?" Janis joked and Cady nodded slowly.

So Janis let go of her hands, grabbed her face and kissed her. Her wife.

"I love you." Cady whispered as she put her arms around Janis neck, hugging her tightly.

"I love you too Cady."

And this is it. 'the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' actually killed me so Imma go back to crying myself to sleep now.

I hope you liked it, I hope you have an amazing day and until next time, bye.♥️