You're Alive

To be honest the title sounds more dramatic than it really is. But hey I'm back. Enjoy the story.

Janis sits up in bed screaming. Her body covered in sweat. Her cheeks soaked with tears. She screamed until her throat eventually felt sore and it took too much energy from her to keep screaming. Screaming until that unsettling and ultimately heart crushing feeling finally leaves her body.
The clock strikes 3 am. New record she thought to herself. Nightmares are kind of a routine for Janis by now. And the fact that she's alone doesn't really make it better.
————————
It was a Sunday night Cady and Janis had a lazy day together cuddling on the couch drinking coffee and watching their favourite movies together.
It was getting dark and Cady had to go home. Janis insisted to drive her but Cady convinced her that she could walk. Janis lives 10 minutes away from Cady anyway so why waste the gasoline.
And it was the worst decision Cady has ever made. And for Janis it was a decision she'll always regret.
Cady was halfway home when it happened. A tall man in dark clothes seemed to follow her. She tried to shake it off at first thinking it was just because Janis and her watched "it follows" that day and Cady never handled horror movies very well. But then it happened.
The man suddenly started to pick up his pace heading in Cadys direction. Cady tried to run. And she did until her lungs started to burn. She almost made it into her street when she felt a strong arm around her shoulders and one hand over her mouth dragging her away. After that everything went black.
————————-
That "incident" as people like to call it - which Janis finds totally disgusting - happened two months ago and since that night Janis never had a nightmare free night again.
She always sees Cady crying in a corner of a dark room visibly in pain pressing her hands onto her stomach blood coming out of a wound. Janis wants to come and help but she can't move. She just has to watch Cady suffer until she sees her lifeless body on the floor surrounded by blood.
She's blaming herself for it. Even more than Cadys parents do. She gets it. She should have at least walked her home. Janis wouldn't have cared what would happen to her as long as Cady is okay. But she didn't because Cady told her not to. While Janis was haunted by those thoughts people lost hope in Cadys return pretty quickly. People even started using it to bully Janis which makes her blood boil every single time she even thinks about that.
Damian doesn't have it better. While he's missing his favourite redhead like crazy he also does everything in his power to keep Janis save. Even if he feels miserable not knowing if he ever sees his friend alive again.
He doesn't mention the thought that Cady could be dead by now around Janis. The idea of taking Janis hope just breaks his heart because Janis is convinced that Cady is alive and that she will come back sooner or later. On a few days you see her questioning herself but she still has hope and Damian doesn't want to take it from her.
———————-
Janis was lying in bed staring at the ceiling. She's playing around with the locket of her necklace. The only thing she really got left of Cady. It was a weird day. Something felt different. Like the weird feeling you get when something's about to happen. Janis just couldn't put her finger on it. Cadys parents were in Maddison for the week so she sneaked into the House lying down in Cadys bed. Smelling the remaining scent of Cady around her. It sounds creepy if you think about it but Janis simply needed a break from everyone and everything around her. And this is the best place to do so. Lost in her thoughts she didn't notice her phone was ringing at first until he high pitched ringing sound brought her back to reality.
It was a number Janis didn't recognise but she picked up anyways because no risk no fun.
"Hello?"
A shaky breath came from the other line and a tiny voice asked "Janis?"
"New phone who dis?" She said jokingly. The voice sounded familiar. But she really couldn't put a finger on it. So she thought someone was just pranking her. Wouldn't be the first time.
The person on the other line mumbled something incoherent. It sounded like she was crying. What the fuck is going on?
"It's Cady." Janis froze. Cady? Her girlfriend Cady who went missing? The Cady who most people say is probably dead?
"Janis?" The voice said once again interrupting her thoughts.
"I swear if this is a joke I'm kindly asking you to stop. I'm clearly not laughing." Janis wanted to sound angry. But out of it just came pure hurt and sadness. Her voice shaky and cracking at the end. She started her fiddling with the locket again to calm herself down a little.
There was a sob on the other line. And for some reason it broke Janis' heart. Could it really be...
"Caddie?" It was barely above a whisper. Janis felt the tears fall down her cheeks.
A soft spoken "Hi." Was everything she got for an answer. That's when Janis knew that this wasn't a prank. She was actually talking to her beloved girlfriend. Now the question is: how do you react to that? So Janis did the next best thing by stating the obvious:
"You- You're alive" she said facepalming herself mentally right after.
"Good observation skills Ms Sarkisian." A person in the background snorted.
"Wait where are you right now? Who's with you? Are you save?" Janis suddenly feels herself panicking.
"I'm at the police station right now, an officer is with me, I'm okay. I just wanna go home."
Janis immediately gets the hint, jumps up from the bed and sprinted to her car. With Cady still on the phone.
"Give me 5 minutes." she eventually says.
———————-
Janis races to the police station practically forgetting the existence of speed limits. If Cady would sit beside her she would tell her to at least wear the seatbelt. But screw it seatbelts are for suckers.
She arrived at the station in no time parking in the nearest parking lot sprinting to the entrance. As she came in she was greeted by an officer who leaded her to where Cady was waiting for her. Her heart was beating out of her chest. For the first time in forever she was nervous to see Cady. But she also couldn't be more excited to be able to hold her girlfriend again. To tell her that she loved her and to stroke her beautiful long auburn hair again.
As soon as Cady came into view tears began to fall again. Their eyes meet. And time stood still. They ran into each others arms both crying uncontrollably. Janis buries her face into Cadys neck and holds her as tight as she can afraid that if she let go she would just disappear. They didn't know how long they stood there just being in each others embrace but they didn't care much either. After a while Janis pulls back a little to look at her girlfriend. She looks tired. A bruise framing her right eye. Her hair damp from sweat. She lost weight. Still shaking in Janis' arms. But it's her. Janis then cups her face and kisses her. Putting all the feelings and passion that's inside her in it. She brushes her thumbs over Cadys cheeks. And the rest of the world just fell away. It felt unreal. Too good to be true. Too good to last at least because they got interrupted by a man loudly clearing his throat and saying:
"Could you please cut that Disney-Movie-Reunion a bit shorter? There are still people here you know?"
A woman beside him just slapped his arm and told him to shut up. "They're having a moment"
Janis still took the hint and leaded Cady outside. As soon as they were out of the door it was Cady who pulled Janis in for another kiss. It was softer this time but still passionate. They break apart but still stay in each others embrace, their foreheads touching. And for the first time since Cady went missing Janis is smiling. A real genuine smile which could light up the whole world.
"I love you" Cady said after a while. "And I missed you. So much."
Janis felt the last bit of all her negative feelings fade away.
"I love you too Caddie." She paused for a bit just to smile at her girlfriend. "Now come on. Let me take you home."

Don't ask me how I got the idea.
Sorry that it took so long but I'm already working on a third thing and I hope that it turns out as I want it to because it's just pure childhood flashback content for me I hope you enjoyed the story and I hope you have an awesome day. Bye👌