Chapter 6

"Aubree did you hear what I said," Ryder asks me masking his emotion. None of my body seems to be responding to my brain. If I was a computer I would be in the process of shutting down, but I need to be restarting instead. 

I run my eyes over his face with an urgency to discover if what he speaks it truth. Who am I trying to kid Ryder isn't one to lie and especially not about this. From the little he's shared with me from his past love wasn't a theme in his household. In fact he told me he didn't think he knew how to love someone and now he's admitting he loves me.

My heart is screaming to tell him my own truth, that I love him too, but my head is screaming the opposite. I can either listen to my heart or listen to my head at this point. If I was a character in a book readers would be screaming your heart dumbs ass and when I make the decision to follow my head instead they will be cussing out the author for making me make that decision. So the blame could then be laid at the authors feet and not my own, but sadly I'm not a character in a book. Any decision I make and the consequences that follow will be of my own doing.

Finally I find my voice. "Ryder please," I say tightly, "don't do this now." I can tell this was not at all what he had been hoping I would say by the crestfallen expression on his handsome face. "You know the rules. Hell you made some of them and I do believe not falling in love with each other was the first one you created." I know I'm grasping at straws.

"Bree rules were made to be broken." He rolls on the bed till he's sitting on the side glancing up at me. "I only made that stupid rule because I was scared." I bite my lip waiting for him to continue. 

Ryder has never been big on expressing his feelings and that was one of his qualities I liked about him. So whenever he did I would freeze whatever I might have been doing and gave him my undivided attention. Especially if he was speaking on his family. One of the main times he opened up about his family to me was when he was forced to. The press had been breathing down our necks when word got out his dad was sitting in jail for sexual assault of a minor along with a slew of other sentencing and on top of that he was under suspicion for others.

I more then made my paychecks for the weeks that followed and ended up owning many people favors where the band was concerned. With every demand I brought them from reporters and agencies over not printing the story that I discovered would not only involve Ryder, but also Mason the band agreed. Took almost two years to fulfill all the favors and I do believe we may still owe a few.

I have never been so grateful for our legal team as I was back then. They jumped right in full force and quickly put an end to the story as well. Between them and me I have full faith we have nothing more to worry about concerning Ryder's and Mason's past coming to light. If if ever did many a people would be getting sued and losing the shirt off their back.

Ryder runs his hands over his face and stares down at the floor. He must be going really deep into his feelings if he can't even look at me. "I was scared because the first day we spoke my heart woke up from its deep slumber and I had no clue how to respond."

"So you acted like a complete asshole," I state remembering that day well. 

"Isn't that normally how guys tend to act when they like a girl," he questions with a slight chuckle and finally meeting his gaze with mine.

I widen my stance slightly and cross my arms. "Ryder back to the topic at hand please." Need to stay focused.

"Then over the next few years we fell into the weird dance and over time I realized I wanted you. But the only way I seemed to be able to have you as mine was if agreeing to this arrangement of ours. So I did."

That was one of the reasons why I agreed too. I wanted him as mine and was tired I watching him disappear behind closed doors with other women. Then when the day he approached me with this I jumped at the chance with both feet. Well to be honest took him breaking me down till I agreed, but I did want to jump in with both feet. The other reason was because if there were rules and guidelines I always knew where I stood when it comes to him.