Chapter 13

I lean back against Ryder. "Mr. Gear everything is under control and in the past you never interfered with Steel Wolf and their business so I thought this would be the same. Usually you tell me to deal with whatever is happening on my own."

Mr. Gear mutters under his breath and I'm unable to make out his words clearly, but by his tone I could tell he was not pleased with this news. The only reason I could fathom why is because he always liked it better when the guys seemed available. To him girlfriends were simply a temporary roadblock, but this was more now. Well he can get over himself. The guys deserve to be happy and have family's of their owns.

"How is this going to impact the tour," he asks in a more demanding tone. Or maybe I'm way off my worries and all he is concerned about is the bottom dollar.

"Nothing. Other than Dimitri and Skylar will travel in a separate bus, which I believe Dimitri has purchased himself." I inform him keeping my tone cool and collected. I may not be the spineless girl who first started working for him, but I know with him it is better to be direct and to the point with no emotion.

Ryder kisses the side of my neck. He recognizes the fact I might appear on the outside to be put together, but on the inside I'm fuming. Mr. Gear has called me more than once in Ryder's presence and every single time I get off the phone with fire in my eyes. Thankfully Mr. Gear keeps his calls to a minimum and leaves me alone on my little island. Whenever I have a problem I've learned to deal with it on my own because in the past when I got him involved he always made it worse. 

"Good. Good. Good," he says making me feel like I'm a lap dog. "Isn't she a teacher? What is she doing about that?"

What it up with all the questions? Does he have romantic feelings for Dimitri and this is all steaming from jealously? Wouldn't that be something if he did? Dealing with unrequited love. Serves him right for the way he treats people.

In no way am I telling him that she got fired because she is with Dimitri. That bit of information is for the ears of people she wants to know. So instead I say, "she decided that she would explore a different job opportunity that would allow her to remain with the band when they go on tour." Ryder continues to kiss and lick the side of my neck slightly distracting me from the conversation. I try to push him away, but he wont budge from his mission. 

"And that would be," he asks dryly. 

"Skylar is going to be my new assistant," I inform him with pride. In fact I couldn't wait to get started working with her. Finally someone who was competent. Every time I had to ask Mr. Gear for my applications for that role he would make a sly remark about how I couldn't keep an assistant. Then usually everyone in the stack were complete and utter crap. I would be forced to pick who I felt was the best of the group, which still wasn't the greatest. Madison case in point.

"Has she been vetted or completed an application? We have procedures put in place for a reason Aubree," he says attempting to reprimand me as though I am a child. Now Ryder has taken to not only lavishing attention on my neck, but one of his hands has snuck under my shirt. I fight back a moan of pleasure needing to remain focused on my conversation.

Jokes on Mr. Gear we took care of all that over the phone earlier this week. Her background check already came back and she was cleared. I also had her complete the hiring packet. All that was left was to have the formal meeting with the band.

"I know what the procedures are and they have all been completed," I tell him in a strained voice. My energy was quickly becoming drained from this conversation.

"You missed one step." I rack my brain trying to figure out what step he was alluding to. When I don't respond he continues. "You never got my approval."