Chapter 12

The lightest brushes of lips against the crown of my head refocuses me on the present and removes me from the dark times in the past. I glance over at Ryder beyond thankful to have him healthy sitting beside me. 

My gaze must have lingered longer than I thought because he says, "I know I'm handsome, but you're starting to make me feel like a slide under a microscope."

"What do you know about science? Last I check you barely made it through school."

His eyes narrows for a split second showing his displeasure over my words to the point I was about to apologies and take them back. But his next comment has me pausing. "I know plenty about science. Especially chemistry." He wiggles his eyebrows on the last part and I can't prevent my eyes from rolling at his over used joke. Skylar probably would have wacked him for it if she was here.

"Ryder you may want to come up with some new material," I tell him laughing. These are the moments I love with Ryder. Where we are just Ryder and Aubree. Not the Rockstar and the manager. Yet, these moments are also the ones that continuously chip away at the walls I had so carefully built. 

Ryder tenses and I can tell he has something on his mind. So I patiently wait for him to speak. Over the years I've learned pressing him to talk before he is ready never ends well. We usually end up in an argument. 

"Is there anything else from the past I should know," he asks me, speaking sooner then I thought he would.

I quickly think back over the past and ponder how much of my relationship with Adam I should tell him. Then again maybe opening up about Adam would help heal the wounds that I only slapped a band-aid over. Plus Ryder has opened up tp me about his dark past. I know there is still more for him to tell me, but I have yet to return the favor.

"You already know about my depressing up bringing." I let out a sigh and draw in a strength from deep down to continue. Glancing out across the water because I don't want to see his feelings for me change when I tell him of my soiled past. "And you know about the band Mr. Gear put me in charge of that was already well established. He said this would be a great way to get my feet wet and learn the ins and out. Also since the band was already popular I wouldn't have to work as hard with them. But that band was not as positive as I thought it would be."

Thinking back now Mr. Gear placed me with them not because he wanted to me to learn, but because he figured I would be a flop and since Adam's band was well on their way I couldn't really screw anything up. He probably thought this was the best way to please my parents and to make sure I didn't fuck up any up coming bands. But when that plan failed he had no choice to set me up with other bands and was more then happy to allow Adam to sabotage any of my efforts. Till Steel Wolf that is.    

Ryder goes to speak and I already know what he is going to ask before any words leaves his lips. So I cut him off at the pass. "And no like I said before I won't tell you what band it was." After thinking for second I add, "and don't bother asking Lucan I've already sworn him to secrecy. We both know you would have an easier time breaking into Fort Knox then getting any information out of him."

"Well fuck me." I tilt my head to the side to glance at him. He wiggles his eyebrow. "I'm down if you are. Even if we pose the risk of getting caught. Second thought it would add another layer of fun." I shove his hands away while he was reaching for under my shirt.

"Cool it Casanova. That would be a PR nightmare I would have to clean up. No thank you. As much as I would love to fuck you right now not happening," I deny him with shake of my head. He uses his eyes to plead with me and he almost wins till the sound of voices drift to us. I glance over my shoulder to see a small family walking and shove him to say told you so.