Chapter 8

Ryder maliciously stomps his way to an unsuspecting Lucan causing my concern for Lucan's wellbeing to grow. Over the years I've seen the guys get into fights with one another, but the glint in Ryder's eyes screams this was not one of those time. This is something deeper. Something darker. 

I pick up my pace hoping I will be able to catch him before he reaches his destination, but I was too slow to register what his intent was and he reaches Lucan. Then again Ryder was moving like a train and stopping on of them on a dime is next to impossible.

Ryder reaches his unaware target and I'm still a few paces behind him. Lucan turns to Ryder with a smile and raises his beer in greeting. Ryder is not so friendly. Instead he shoved Lucan by the shoulders causing him to stumble backwards and spill his beer.

"What the fuck is your problem," Lucan yells wiping the spilled beer from his arms.

Ryder clenches his hands at his side for a moment collecting his thoughts and then says one word. "You."

Lucan takes a step back in shock because to him this was coming out of left field. "Me? I've barely spoken to you all day. What could I have possibly done for you to react like this?" By now everyone's attention is riveted to scene taking place between Ryder and Lucan.

"Ryder," I say softly hoping my voice will pull him from this red haze he is in. I even lay my hand on his arm, which to my displeasure he shakes off.

"Not now Aubree," he seethes causing me to curl into myself. "This is between me and Lucan."

Lucan glances around Ryder to look at me. "Can you please tell me what the fuck has happened to set him off?" I really feel bad for Lucan having all of Ryder's fury directed to him when he has done nothing wrong. The conversation that had taken place with Lucan about my past had happened so long ago all of this was uncalled for. If Ryder would stop and listen to me all of this could easily be cleared. 

Ryder positions himself so he is blocking me from Lucan with his body. "Don't fucking look at her let alone talk to her." His tone changes to one of betrayal with his next words. "I trusted you! I fucking trusted you." Lucan's head falls forward as though he is replaying the last few hours and trying to decipher what could be having Ryder up in arms like this.

"Ryder you need to chill man," Dimitri interjects trying to defuse the situation, but when Skylar attempts to move to my side he grabs her arm and shakes his head. Ryder shifts his attention to Dimitri so he continues, "whatever you think Lucan did or didn't do I'm sure is all just a misunderstanding. We are family and none of us would ever intentionally do something to hurt a member of this family."

I watch while Mason and Tray take up a position around us. Tray lends his reasoning to the soon to be fight. "Dimitri is right. More than likely you are making a mountain out of a mole hill." Ryder narrows his eyes in Tray's direction not at all agreeing his his observation. I try to pled with my eyes for Tray to shut up for once. We already are dealing with Ryder wanting to beat the shit out of Lucan don't need him also wanting to beat the shit out of Tray.

Tray takes a step back behind Skylar using her for cover. Skylar playful glares at him and whispers chicken. Tray shrugs his shoulders and makes no move to come out from behind her. At least he stopped talking. 

Now that Tray was out of his line of sight Ryder's glare returns to Lucan. He shakes his finger in Lucan's face while he talks. "You know exactly how I feel about Aubree. The night after the fight you sat there and listened to me go on and on about how much in love with her I am." 

At his disclosure my eyes frantically roam the room seeking to learn how the rest of the band is reacting to his confession. To my astonishment not a single one of them appear outraged or perplexed. Had we not been as discreate as I had thought we were being. I know Skylar knew and by default Dimitri. Also Tray had caught us together and seems Ryder opened up about his feelings to Lucan. So Mason was the only one and if this was the first time he was learning of Ryder's and my relationship his expression was giving nothing away.