Chapter 28

The phone falls to the floor with a clatter when once again his name flashes across my screen. I sit back against the headboard drawing my knees to my chest and rest my head on top of them. All the unwanted memories flood my brain and I can no longer catch my breath. The air suddenly seems stuffy and heavy. Tears leak from my eyes and for a moment I don't even remember where I am. A coldness settles deep within my bones and I fear I'll never be warm again.

All I am conscious of is the fact he is calling me. After all this time he is trying to contact me and has been doing so all morning. What could he possibly want from me? Didn't he already do enough damage?

I can hear a muffled voice in the distance, but I can't make out the words being said. A set of arms wrap around me pulling me against a hard chest. I'm to lost in the darkness of my own mind to register who is holding me. Whoever they are have a tight grip on me and all I want is a little bit of space, but whenever I try to wiggle away from them their grip tightens on me.

My memories of Adam continue to play through my mind like that of an old family movie. Till the last one. The one where he blackmailed me to sleep with him. Suddenly I felt dirty and needed a shower to wash away the feeling of his body against mine. 

"Need shower," I'm able to croak through my dry throat. I push against the person holding me and instead of letting me go they stand with me in their arms and carries me to the bathroom.

They set me on the toilet and turn the water on in the shower. Then they turn to me taking my face in their hands forcing me to look at them.

"Aubree," I hear them say full of concern. Aubree that's my name. My eyesight clears the more I focus on the face in front of me.

"Ryder," I question reaching out tentatively to touch him.

He pulls me against his chest and the familiarity of his arms calms my chaotic brain. "Sweetheart," he sighs. "Where did you disappear on me?"

"Sorry," I mutter into his chest wrapping my arms around him and pulling him in close to me. My thoughts may have cleared, but my body still felt dirty.

"You going to be okay to stand in the shower? The water is warm now." 

I answer him by nodding my head. He helps me undress and step under the spray of the showerhead. The warmth of the water chases away the coldness and any lingering cobwebs. I reach up and grab my loffa needing to scrub away the feeling of him from my skin. Even after all these years he still has the ability to haunt me. 

A large hand reaches around me and claims the luffa in my hand. I lean back into his chest. He wraps an arm around me and kisses my shoulder. "Allow me."

No more words were exchanged while he scrubbed my body clean. There was nothing sexual in this act. This was just him taking care of me and showing his support. With each swipe of the luffa my body felt more of my own and less owned by Adam. With each gentle touch of his hand he replaced the feeling of Adam's hands on me. Till the only ones in our shower were the two of us because Adam had been washed down the drain. 

When he finishes he turns the water off and turns me to face him. I wrap my arms around his neck and cling to him. He reaches behind me to put the luffa away and then wraps his arms around me. I stand on my tippy toes to press my face into his neck.

"As much as I'm enjoying this position Sweetheart I really want to get you out of the shower and into some warm clothes." I nod my head in answer. Seems words are still lost to me.

He opens the curtain and steps out dripping water all over the bathroom floor. I remain standing in the shower waiting for him to direct me on what to do. He grabs a fluffy towel and wraps it around me then helps me out of the shower. He grabs another one and starts to dry my hair. Soon I feel like a child being dried off by a parent, but I don't stop him.