Chapter 10

Not being able to meet his eyes I glance out over the water and begin the difficult conversation. "Mr. Gear is a long time friend of my parents and that was how I got the job working for him." I catch Ryder out of the corner of my eyes nodding his head. "Sadly in this industry it's very seldom based on your skill set, but who you know." My next words cause me to clench my fists in anger. "I hate that I had to use my parents connections to get my foot in the door because I would have rather earned my job due to my capabilities."

Ryder takes one of my hands in his and runs his thumb over my wrist in a soothing gesture. "No matter the reason for why you came into your job by this point you have more than earned it." A small smile tugs at my lips over his words. "In fact," he continues, but then pauses.

"In fact what?" I question him wanting to know where his train of thought was going. He tilts his head to the side and studies me. Making me fidget in my seat nervously. "What," I press again when the pressure starts to get to me.

A cocky smile graces his lips. "I'm debating if I should finish my thought because your head is already big enough." I shove him playfully and he pretends to fall to the side claiming that I hurt him. Highly doubt full. "You are only confirming I shouldn't say anything."

I cross my arms and pout like a child. Ryder for some reason is able to pull different parts of myself out. I feel comfortable around him and don't need to be up tight all the time. He laughs at my actions and surprises me by kissing the side of my head.

"Do you know how cute you are when you pout," he asks tweaking my nose causing me to glare at him. I might be acting like a child, but his words make me feel like one. He lets out a boastful laugh. "And now you remind me of an angry kitten." Does Ryder have a death wish or something?

"I'll give you angry kitten," I mutter under my breath. He either doesn't hear me or really does have no wish to die because he makes no comment about my statement. More loudly I say, "just tell me what you were going to say."

"Alright," he informs me chuckling. "All I was going to say is if it wasn't for you I don't believe the band would be as famous as it is. We would have crashed and burned a lot time ago. You are part of the glue that holds us together."

I shrug my shoulders and say, "tell me something I don't know." 

He relinks his hand with mine and shakes his head laughing. "See that is exactly why I didn't want to say anything. My comment went straight to your already big head."

I roll my eyes at his words. "I'm merely stating the facts." We lapse in a comfortable silence and I realize I need to continue my story. "So like I said my parents got me in the door with Mr. Gear, but after that I was on my own. So I guess in a way I did earn all of this on my own." See his eyes were trying to tell me. "I had a really rocky start. Bands kept dropping me left and right. At first I thought it was because of my stellar personality, but later I started to link the events together and came up with a different reason."

I pause in my story telling to build the strength to tell him bits of my past with Adam. "I was working for this band and ended up dating one of the members."

Ryder interrupts to ask, "anyone I would know?"

I adamantly shake my head no and tell him so. In fact I had made sure Steel Wolf's path never crossed with Adam. I'm sure the conversation Lucan had with him helped to make sure that was never a problem. Having them all in the same room would not have ended well for anyone. Not to mention I never want to see Adam again. It was a little bit of a white lie because I'm sure Ryder has heard of Adam. Not many true rock fans haven't heard of Adam. 

"Anyways," I say not wanting to linger on Ryder trying to figure out who I was talking about. "Like I said I started dating one of the members and the relationship did not end well. I'm pretty sure my ex had Mr. Gears' ear." I rest my head on Ryder's shoulder enjoying the warmth and strength his presence was giving me. "Long story short I'm pretty sure my ex was also influencing the other bands to drop me. Steel Wolf was actually my last opportunity or I was going to be let go."