Chapter 71

A few days have passed and I've lost count the number of times I've checked my phone waiting to hear from Robby. Any time my phone would charm I was running to check who was texting me. Not that I was getting many texts mind you. Skylar and Lucan continued to keep me in the loop what was happening. Mason was also reaching out more and we talked though what was bothering him.

I was once again back to feeling part of the group. The only person I didn't hear from was Ryder, which I'm not surprised at. I also didn't ask them too many questions about what he was up to because I'm not sure I would be able to handle their answers.

Finally, the day came. Robby was calling my phone. I took a steadying breath before answering.

"Aubree," came his business tone after I said hi. He must still be at work.

"This is Aubree," I answer. "Are we ready?"

"Yes. I got the green light from my boss to continue forward with our plan. How soon do you think you can set a meeting up with Adam?"

"I'm not sure since I haven't spoken with him since leaving the tour. The rumor mill is he is taking a bit of time off before jumping into another tour. I'll text him and let you know."

"Good. As for location any ideas?" He asks I can hear him typing on his computer.

There was only one place I wanted to go where I would feel the most comfortable and I know the owners will help us in any way. "Ever hear of The Hideout?"

"That mom and pop place away from down town?"

"That's the place. I personally know the owners and they will be more than happy to help in any way they can. Plus this is where I would feel the most comfortable and be able to relax."

"Which in turn will not cause him to think something is up. You sure they will be okay with this?" He presses me.

"Don't see why they wouldn't. Let me call them first and if they agree I'll contact Adam and set up the day and time. Then I'll give you call with all the information so you can do whatever you need to set things on your end."

"Sounds good. Talk soon," he then hangs up the phone.

I quickly dial Grandma Rose and fill her in on what has been happening and why we haven't come to see them after the tour. She expressed her concern and her willingness to help me in any way she can. She too wanted everything to go back to normal. All I have left to do was contact Adam to set up the meeting.

I decide the best way to communicate with him was through text messages. Give Robby a paper trail of sorts. For a good fifteen minutes I try to think of the best way to send the first text to Adam. Then I feel so ridicules stressing so much over it. Before I can lose my nerve I sent the text.

Hey Adam how are you? This is Aubree by the way.

After I sent the text I felt so stupid for what I had sent, but at this point there was no way for me to take the text back. I sit on my couch biting my fingernails anxiously awaiting his response. What if he never responds? What if he takes forever to respond? All the worries drift in my thoughts I almost miss the pinging of my cell phone.

Isn't this a pleasant surprise after what happened I was beyond sure I would never hear from you.

I can't believe he actually texted me back. Shaking my head, I enter into the role I need to play even though it all makes my skin crawl. Having to flirt with Adam is something I never wanted to do. I feel as though I'm cheating on Ryder even though logically I understand I'm not. All this is simply a means to an end.