Chapter 58

The night continues with Ryder having girl after girl on his arms, but at least he wasn't intentionally throwing them in my face nor did he seen to be favoring one over another. Lucan and the others would occasionally check in with me, but they couldn't stay long due to their responsibilities. I too should be other there mingling and seeing what new connection I can make. More than once I would come across someone here who would help better the band, but my heart wasn't in it. Skylar seemed to be not only beating the women back off of Dimitri, but also doing what I'm not able to.

Every time I would check the time only a few minutes would have passed instead of the hours it felt like. The night was more than dragging. I was giving myself whiplash over the amount of times I kept checking to the point I had to wait to actually look at the clock on the fifth time I wanted to see. This helped to allow a few more minutes to pass in-between checks.

No longer able to deny my desire I was at the bar ordering my third glass of wine promising myself this would be the last one. The bartender hands me the glass along with a glass of water. At my raised brow he says, "Tray made me," then he turns to take someone else's order.

I catch Tray's eyes from the other side of the bar and watch as he ditches the women he was with and comes over to me. "You are not the one I expected to give me the settle hit I need to slow down." I hold the glass between us. "In my defense this is only my third one."

Tray takes the glass from my hand, sets it on the bar and hands me the glass of water. "Drink this first and then you can have the wine." I eye him propping a hand on my hips and taking a sip of water. "What," he asks glancing from me to the crowd a few times.

Continuing to study him I say, "just waiting for the other shoe to fall. Tray you aren't exactly one to babysit. You tend to be the one who needs a babysitter."

Tray pulls a stool back from the bar and takes a seat. He the pull out the stool next to him and pats the top. "Sit," he demands. Curious to see what was on his mind I take a seat and continue to drink my water. "You're not wrong," he confesses earning a smirk from me. "Don't need to look so pleased with yourself. You've been with us long enough to know our tendencies."

"And this," I say waving my hand between us, "is not one of your tendencies."

"Maybe not," he pauses for a moment lost in thought. "But maybe it should be."

I lean back in my chair and study him in a new light. "Is the great Tray Alard starting to grow up?"

He rolls his eyes and finishes his beer. "No need to sound so shock. Had to happen sooner or later."

I finish my water and set the empty glass on the bar. Tray slides my wine back to me. "What brought all this on," I ask him softening my voice.

He glances across the bar and nods his head towards the couples direction. "Watching Dimitri and Skylar's relationship unfold." His eyes return to me. "Also watching you and Ryder." I roll my eyes at his comment. "Don't roll your eyes at me." I playfully shove him. "The two of you are dealing with a small bump in the road is all." Both of us search the room for Ryder and find him surrounded by people, many of which were women.

I roll my eyes at him. "You need glasses Tray. We are dealing with way more than a bump in the road. And based in his current behavior our relationship meant less to him than me." I rest my head on Tray's shoulder needing comfort.

Tray rests his head on top of mine. "Aubree you of all people should remember things aren't always as they appear."

I continue to watch Ryder with my head resting on Tray and he must have felt my gaze on him because he glances in our direction. His eyes darken with anger and a frown forms on his lips. Instantly I pull away from Tray and put some space between us. Ryder's eyes never lose their darkness and a shiver runs down my spine.