Slippery Tour-- Detroit

May 1987

Chrissie's POV 

I'm sitting just back stage, watching them finish off their show which was amazing as usual. They never fail to light up the stage with their presence. On the other hand, something has been slowly nagging at me. The past month and a half, Jon's voice has been gradually getting worse and worse everyday. I keep telling him to take a break but he totally refuses, I even asked his mom to talk to him as well and he still says no. His skin has been looking so pale lately, his eyes blood shot and puffy and he's actually been losing a lot of weight. I've been really worried about him but feel like I can't talk to anyone about it. 

The show has ended for tonight, they're all making their way back stage when all of a sudden Jon belts past me, his hand gripping his mouth. "Jonn?!?" Shouting after him as I jog down the hallway towards the bathroom. I swing the door open and I'm instantly hit with the sound of him being violently sick. "Oh My God.." mumbling out my words in shock, I scurry over to him and pull his hair away from his face. "I wish I knew how to help you baby....I'm so worried" My voice breaking ever so slightly as the tears brim in my eyes. He spends about 5 minutes straight, emptying himself out into the toilet. When he's done, he slumps himself down, leaning against the wall. Quickly grab a wet cloth and kneel down so I can gently wipe his sweaty face clean. His mouth is gasping for breaths and his eyes are sealed shut. "I really wish you'd tell me what's going on Jon" Caressing his damp cheek with a sigh. He opens his eyes and leans into me, nuzzling his head into my chest. "I promise I'll be fine" His weak, raw voice a mere whisper. Secretly praying that he'll be okay whilst wrapping my arms round him, pulling him in for a warm embrace. 

After a good 10 minutes of sitting on the bathroom floor hugging him, we decide to go see the guys. As soon as we stepped foot in the dressing room, they couldn't hold their questions back. "You alright Jonny?" Dave's expression was one of worry "Yeah, Thanks Dave" His once beautiful husky voice was raw and shattered. "You sure kidd? you don't look too good" Richie adding in with the same worried expression "I'll be fine guys...I promise" Raising his hands up in defence. They all looked down in silence, almost as if they were all holding something back, like there was a secret they were keeping, I just needed to find out what it was. While Jon went off to get changed, I took my opportunity to try and get some information out of them. I sit down right next to Richie and Dave, eyeing them both up like prey. "So..... You guys know what's going on with him don't you?" My voice was low and melancholy "Uhhh....His voice is shot?" Richie stating the obvious, making me roll my eyes. "You know that's not what I mean" Hissing through gritted teeth "We don't know anythin honey" Dave piping up when he senses my anger "Because there's nothin to know Chrissie" Richie adding in straight after. "Oh don't give me that....You guys know what's going on and I WILL find out what it is....You can count on it" Giving them both a glare that could kill. Suddenly Jon came walking in again, sensing how tense the atmosphere is "What's goin on?" His raw, croaky tones filling the awkward silence. "Nothin babe, we were all sayin how hungry we all were....ain't that right guys?" putting on my best smile as I look up at Jon. Thankfully he fell for it "I'm dyin for pizza........I'm starved" rubbing his rumbling flat stomach. 

We all headed back to the hotel, all piling into Jon's room with our pizza. We couldn't get our  boxes open fast enough, the steamy aroma hitting us in the face like a wall. Gradually, the rumbling of our stomachs came to a halt. Soon enough, we were all left clutching our swollen, full stomachs. "Man that was a great fuckin show....I can't wait for tomorrow night" Richie grinning away like a Cheshire cat "Yeah....It was....I mean I sounded like shit but It was a good show" Jon responding with his croaky voice "I know you guys have been helping me out a lot on vocals and I just wanna thank you". "That's what we're here for Kidd.....But you'll be back to normal in no time....You'll see" Richie exclaiming with a smile. Jon drops his head with a quiet laugh "Maybe..." croaking to himself. By this point, It was really late and I was certainly getting really tired. I rested my head on Jon's shoulder, just to take some of the weight off myself. But before I knew it I was fast asleep, snoozing away into the dream world.