Italy, Now and Forever

November 15th 1988 / Italy 

Chrissie's POV 

"You look beautiful honey" My dad has the warmest smile on his face while he looks my wedding dress over "You really think so? The dresses are very different here". I glance at my reflection in the mirror, taking a moment to truly admire myself. It's a sleeveless laced dress that flares out at the bottom and I chose long white gloves to match. "You ready? It's time to go baby" I inhale a few deep breaths, feeling my nerves boiling away "Is everyone in place? Richie.... and... the guys?". He slowly nods his head in response, holding his arm out for me to link "Yep... Just waiting for you". 

We wait at the double doors inside the church, listening for the music to start "I'm so nervous... How was Jonny this morning?". "He was nervous... But truly... there's nothing to be nervous about... you'll be fine" His large hand caressing circles in my back. Our heads are turned when the doors swing open at the sound of the organ. 

"Oh wow... he looks so handsome" My eyes are immediately met with Jon waiting patiently for me in his blue suit. My dad starts to lead me down the isle, my eyes fixated on Jon the whole way. He smiles wide as soon as he sees me in my dress, a look of awe and surprise written all over his face. 

We make it to the front where Jon is standing and my heart is now thumping inside my chest so hard. My dad hands me over to Jon with a warm smile, who can't wait to remove my veil to reveal my face. His smile widens even more when his eyes meet with mine, making my heartrate rapidly increase. The priest starts off with a prayer which naturally I know by heart but Jon, even though he knows the words, he chooses to mumble his way through it. He always calls himself a recovering catholic whenever someone asks about his religion, whatever that means. 

Once the prayer is out the way with, we're all guided through a few hymns by the priest. Never in a million years did I ever think that Jon and I would be standing in a church in Italy, getting married surrounded by the band, his family and my dad. This will definitely be the best day of my life. 

Finally, the moment has arrived, the moment for our vows which we have chosen to write ourselves. It took me a while to write mine, after all he is the writer, not me. 

My shaky hands unfold the crumbled up paper, giggling nervously as I glance up at Jon, his eyes switching between me and the paper with curiosity. 

"John Francis Bongiovi" He let's out a deep breath upon hearing his name, his hands fidgeting away with each other. 

"I take you with all of my heart, to be my husband, I promise to be faithful to you, love you, support you in the bad times, cherish the good times, through all of your crazy adventures, for the rest of our lives" 

My attention is drawn when he starts to unfold his crumbled up piece of paper with scribbles all over it. His lips tremble with a shaky sigh, his eyes flicking between me and his paper. 

"Christiana Romano... From the first moment I saw you... running down that street... I was drawn to you... I needed to know you... get close to you and never be apart from you... you saw all of my scars and healed them... you found the skeletons in my closet and buried them.... you keep me grounded and level headed, you're the woman I love, the woman I want and the woman I want to be with, for the rest of my life" His eyes widen when he sees the streams of tears rolling down my cheeks. I can see he's itching to comfort me but before he has a chance to, the priest grabs a hold of our hands and joins them together. 

"Do you... take John Francis Bongiovi, to be your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?" The priest looking deep into my eyes the entire time which intensifies the whole thing. Everyone's eyes are on me while I struggle to squeeze out the words, not because I don't want to, but because I'm crying so much "I do". Everyone let a deep breath when they heard my shaky strained voice. He then turned his attention to Jon and asked the same which Jon responded "I do". Jon slides the ring onto my finger at an achingly slow pace, making me squirm with excitement. I then take Jon's ring from the priest and slide it onto his finger before interlocking our hands together.