Chapter 113: Whoso Pullethed?

"Heal what had been hurt...change the fate's design...save...what has been lost...bring back what once was mine...what...once...Eugene..."

Cobra Bubbles was still. Perfectly. Solid as a statue and senses sharp as icicles, he listened in the darkness. Rapunzel's voice echoed in the castle hallway, magic dispelled from her healing incantation. Her powers were gone, cut away with her hair.

Mr. Bubbles touched a dial on his sunglasses. The black lenses revolved, focusing inside Dr. Sweet's nurses office and on the crying girl. Song replaced with tears, she wept at a boy's bedside, holding his lifeless hand against her short hair. Mr. Bubbles tapped the lens. The image zoomed, amplifying the boy's knife wound and tears gliding down Rapunzel's cheeks.

A memory itched Mr. Bubbles' conscience, but he ignored it. Tapping his glasses, he forced indifference upon the girl's pain. Grief was part of life, and made frequent by war. And if you couldn't handle the consequences...well...either don't die, deal with it, or don't fight. It was that simple.

A dark flicker moved. As his lenses refocused, Mr. Bubbles watched Dr. Sweet cross the room. Consolingly, Dr. Sweet tried to ease Rapunzel away from Flynn. Unsurprisingly, Rapunzel refused, shoving the nurse's hand away with uncharacteristic aggression.

"No!" she gasped, pressing Flynn's hand into her head. Injured students stirred as Rapunzel cried. "No! Eugene saved me! He saved me! And I can save him! I can! I just – flower gleam and glow –!"

Two round ears pricked. They bobbed across the room. Mr. Bubbles switched his lenses to infrared. It was Mickey.

Dr. Sweet touched Rapunzel's shoulders. "...Rapunzel."

"—let your—p—power—shine—"

"...Rapunzel...it's over...your magic...is gone."

"...bring back...bring...ba...Eugene..."

Her lip trembled. Then, as Mickey approached, Rapunzel laid her forehead against Flynn's. Tears dripped down her cheeks and melted like molten gold on Flynn's cheek.

Mr. Bubbles gazed. Shoulders depressed, Dr. Sweet made to guide Rapunzel away. Sadly, Mickey followed.

Then someone spoke. "Wait."

Rapunzel turned. Eyes green as spring blossoms and wild with hope, she stared through the darkness. "Eugene?"

On the bed, Flynn smiled. Weakly, he extended a hand. "Did I ever tell you...I've got a thing for brunettes?"

Rapunzel glowed. Breaking between Dr. Sweet and Mickey, she tackled Flynn with an embrace that could end winter forever. "Eugene!"

Mickey smiled. Nudging a stunned, albeit relieved, Dr. Sweet, he made a silent goodbye before joining Mr. Bubbles at the door.

"The tear heals. It musta been Rapunzel's tears. Fixed Flynn – or Eugene I guess– right up. Like an elixir. Boy oh boy." Happily, Mickey lead Mr. Bubbles down the shadowy hallway. Moonlight bounced over the skip in his step. "Magic. Darn'st thing, huh Mr. Bubbles?"

Mr. Bubbles glanced. "That's what the Otherlanders think. Per report. Majesty."

The skip in Mickey's step flattened. He frowned, uncertain which part of Mr. Bubbles's response to correct first.

"The Other Land?" Mickey said, deciding upon the first. He'd address the 'majesty' business later. Voice lowered, he slowed. "You and Donald got through the Great Wall, then?"

Mr. Bubbles nodded. "Grandmother Willow's secret passageway. Just like the old days. She's glad you're alive. Again."

"Who did you take?" Mickey asked quickly, sensing another 'majesty' reference coming. "Mulan?"