Chapter 45: Monstro

Chapter 45: Monstro

"I consider myself a reasonable merman."

Lana glared across her painted toenails at Ariel. "Mer...unlike some of us."

"Oh shut up, Lana." Andrina snapped. Ariel bounced slightly as Andrina leaned across the couch in the Triton's living room. "It's not like being a mermaid helped you get to the finish line either."

Lana shook her head incredulously. Cordelia and Maris folded their arms at the Triton girls. "Oh please, Andrina. Stop defending her. Give the mutant a chance."

Ariel looked up from her shoes. "Bitch."

"What did you say?"

Ariel seized a pillow from Arista's lap. "You heard me, Lana!"

"Shut up!"

Furiously, Ariel threw the pillow. Attina stood. Ariel shook her away. "Make me!"

"LADIES! ENOUGH!"

Ariel ignored her father. She didn't care. She didn't care about the consequences. She was sick if being told what to do and how to feel. Don't be mad that Fantasia depends on you to protect it! Don't be mad that the Wishing Star is broken! Don't be mad that nobody else cares about Fantasia! Don't be mad about the trident! Don't be mad that you can't change into a mermaid! Don't be mad that your sisters and cousins are mean girls! Don't be mad that Wendy Darling hates you because of your family! Don't be mad that Daddy forbids you to see Jim Hawkins ever again! Don't be mad that Jim Hawkins is from the other side of the tracks! Don't be mad that it would never work out!

Beside herself with anger, Ariel grabbed a second pillow and aimed for Lana's head.

"ARIEL! STOP THIS AT ONCE!" Admiral Triton slammed his fist on the coffee table. Energy surged across the den like a tidal wave. "ALL OF YOU! SIT DOWN!"

"This isn't fair!" Ariel cried. She thrashed away from Attina, urging her to sit down. Aggressively, she gestured to her sisters and cousins. "You wanted to talk to themabout Tony's Restaurant! They were the ones being stupid! I wasn't there – so I shouldn't be here!"

Admiral Triton's eyes flashed. "Sit down."

"But – "

" – Now."

"Ariel." Alana's eyes were shinning with tears. Hugging her stuffed clown-fish, she glanced timidly at Admiral Triton. "Ariel please. Just sit down here. You're not in trouble."

"Like Hell I'm not."

Wrathfully, she burrowed into the couch next to Alana. The room had gone silent after she swore. Ariel didn't know why she swore, or why she did so forcibly, but she really didn't care.

"Hawkins." Admiral Triton hissed. He scalded Ariel with livid eyes, but she responded with crossed arms.

Pressing his palms together, Admiral Triton forced himself to remain calm.

"Humph!" Sebastian muttered. "Dat boy has already a bad influence, Admiral. Next 'ting you know she'll be wearin' black lipstick and – "

"Thank you Petty Officer, Sebastian." Admiral Triton folded his arms behind his back. "I assure you my imagination needs no prompting. Now...Ladies...do you know why I summoned you tonight?"

"Yeah." Lana crossed her legs over the coffee table. Marina, Cordelia, and Adella followed suit. "Meeting of the mer. Oh wait...jk..." she said swerving her head at Ariel. "...my mistake."

Ariel rose. Attina and Alana ushered her back down.

"Lana! That is enough." Admiral Triton clenched his fingers. "One more comment and you will regret it. That I promise."