Chapter 118: Sundresses in Winter

Dr. Sweet unplugged his stethoscope.

"Congratulations, young lady." he said, unstrapping the blood pressure cuff from Wendy's arm. "You graduated. All patched up. You are good to go."

Wendy looked. The Nurse's Office was empty. Everyone had been healed and discharged. Everyone but her. Wendy bit her lip. Turning her shoulder, she let the right forearm rest over her knee.

SHADOW WORKER. The scars crosshatched her forearm with vivid, white streaks. Save from the blood, the scars had not faded. She could read them. Clear as day.

Wendy grimaced. She laid a hand over the center forearm.

Dr. Sweet sympathized. Unfastening his white coat, he nodded at Wendy's forearm. "Believe it or not, that was the least of my worries. You were pretty banged up. No idea what those shadows did to your system. Especially the brain. Failed the diadochokinesia tests and cranial nerve screen three times before things started responding normally. From what Headmaster Mickey tells me – shadows rip up memories? Right?"

Wendy nodded.

Dr. Sweet shouldered his medical bag, reflectively. "Bajeasus. Just goes to show you how connected and irritating the brain is. All right." He gestured to Wendy. "Come on girl. Time for me to sleep and for you to see Edna Mode."

"Edna Mode?"

"Yup." Annoyed, Dr. Sweet consulted his watch. "Artsy people. Typical. No respect for the medical profession. What you and your classmates need, Wendy, is uninterrupted rest and a quarter pound cheeseburger to get back to life. Not a fashion show."

To Wendy's confusion, Dr. Sweet explained further. "There is a coronation tonight. New king of Fantasia is going to be crowned."

Wendy raised her eyebrows. Dr. Sweet nodded, in agreement. "Heroes are going to be honored. And I've heard Guardians will be chosen."

"Guardians? Magical guardians? Like before?"

"That's the rumor. Headmaster Mickey is with the prospective guardians right now. I don't know the details – only that Admiral Triton and Attina are in the running – but it's a pretty big deal. Which is why…" Dr. Sweet rolled his eyes. "…Edna Mode is making everyone look 'nice.' Nice. There's an overstatement. Coronation is after the vigil for the deceased, and I don't know anyone that will care about looking –

"Vigil?"

Dr. Sweet paused. Realizing his mistake, he offered Wendy a compassionate gaze.

"Yes." He said, speaking slower and softer. "Yes. It's uh…it's going to be beautiful. Candles on the water. And lanterns in the air. All at evening." Kindly, Dr. Sweet nodded out the window. "Right after the sun sets. Later. Tonight. Guiding all souls to Heaven."

Wendy did not answer.

Uncomfortably, but with the tenderness of a seasoned medical professional, Dr. Sweet raised a hand. "Do you want to talk, Wendy?"

Wendy did not answer. Then she sighed. "…no."

Dr. Sweet consented.. "Okay. Always here if you need anything. You've always been my best student Wendy. And now that Fantasia is on track, you're gonna get a chance to prove it. Road's all clear for chasing dreams. You're going to make a Hell of a pediatric doctor, Wendy. And a Hell of a shadow worker."

He winked. Wendy gave a little smile. Dr. Sweet opened the door. "Happy to help if I can. But now, you have to get to Edna Mode. She's upstairs. Headmaster's quarters. Just…take the grim reaper with you?"