Chapter 55: Beginning of the End

"They did what?"

Jim and Ariel sat helplessly as Headmaster Mickey wiggled a finger into his ear. Chained to the chairs by Captain Li Shang's grip, they silently awaited the headmaster's verdict.

"Yes. You heard me right, Headmaster. "said Shang. Ariel winced as Shang squeezed her shoulder. "This one electrocuted an entire pool of mermaids."

Headmaster Mickey's eyes were wide as saucers. He looked at Ariel. "The mermaids. Your...family?"

Earnestly, Ariel shook her head. "But I had to – you weren't there!"

Ariel tried to lean forward. Shang's fingers pinched under her collarbone. "Headmaster! Lana tried to drown Wendy Darling! Literally drown!"

Headmaster Mickey's eyebrow raised. "I see. And why isn't Lana here?"

Jim raised two fingers. "I punched her."

Mickey's jaw dropped. "You?"

Jim nodded. "In the nose."

"Broken." Shang growled, squeezing Jim's shoulder. "In three places. Miss Cascadia is currently in the Nurse's Office."

"Good riddance." Jim and Ariel grumbled simultaneously. They looked at each other before buckling under Shang's grip.

Headmaster Mickey plopped down behind his desk. Bewildered, he mopped his brow.

Jim crossed his ankles. Broodingly, he noticed a sewing basket propped on the corner of the headmaster's desk before the door swung open.

"Headmaster, Sir!"

Breathless, Silver limped to the desk. Morph revolved happily around his head as Master Cogsworth revolved unhappily behind.

"Mr. Silver is not scheduled for an appointment –" Master Cogsworth began, anxiously tapping his glass face.

"That boy!" Silver stepped back, nearly crushing Master Cogsworth. "Is innocent! Why he'd never – "

Headmaster Mickey lifted a hand. "Thank you Mr. Silver. But Jim already confessed."

Silver stopped. Awkwardly, he straightened himself from the headmaster's desk.

"By the powers, Jimbo, never outright confess w'out a fight!" mumbled the cyborg from the corner of his mouth.

"Headmaster!" Master Cogsworth tugged Silver's coat. "I really think it's time for Mr. Silver to be leaving!"

"It all right. Thank'ya Master Cogsworth. I can take it from here."

Master Cogsworth looked pained at breaking rules. Muttering under his ticking gears, he exited the headmaster's quarters.

"Captain Li Shang." Headmaster Mickey continued as Cogsworth slammed the door. "You've been helpful and efficient as always. Thank you – I'll see that they are properly punished."

Dubiously, Shang narrowed an eye. But respectfully, he joined hands, bowed, and departed.

"All righty." Headmaster Mickey said hopping off his chair. Nonchalantly, he regarded Ariel and Jim. "How shall we punish you two?"

Silver cleared his throat. "If I might say so – "

"—Maybe later, thank'ya." interrupted he headmaster pleasantly.

Silver and Morph exchanged worried glances. Ariel fidgeted. Jim didn't move.

"Ariel." Headmaster Mickey tapped his chin. "You electrocuted your cousins and sisters with the trident. Right?"