Chapter 19: I Can't Remember to Forget You

"Ladies..."

Ariel clicked her tongue as Peter, Aladdin, and Flynn eased over the seats. Impatiently, she switched a seat over as Lana, Adella, and Cordelia giggled.

"Hey, hey, hey! Here are my two favorite gingers." Peter hooked his arm around Lana's neck. Spreading his arm over the seat backs, he tugged Ariel's hair.

"Heyyyyyy. Helllllo?"

"Ariel's being a little grumpy today." Lana purred, cozying into Peter's neck. Adella and Cordelia smirked, hanging off Aladdin and Flynn. "We think someone might be a little lovesick."

Peter grinned. He tugged Ariel's hair again. "Either that or PMS, right?"

Ariel rounded on Peter. "What is the matter with you guys? Don't you realized what's about to happen?"

"Drahh-mahh!" Lana sniggered, toying with Peter's collar.

"She acted the same way when Eric broke up with her in the second grade." Adella explained to Flynn. "Nothing but bee-otch. So it has to be a boy."

"Just cut it! I'm not lovesick!" Disguising her blush under anger, Ariel attacked Peter. "You are all so stupid. Didn't the attack last night mean anything to you? Don't you care at all what happens after you pick from the Magic Bag of Tricks?"

Peter sat up. Ariel noticed a red welt across his cheek. As if he'd been slapped.

"Who made you little miss goody-two-shoes all of a sudden?" demanded Peter as Lana stroked his messy hair. "Chill out. Everybody knows what's going to happen when we pick from the stupid bag."

"That's right." Lana gushed, suddenly excited. Reaching across Peter, she shook Ariel's wrist. Thousands of shinny shells jingled on her bracelets. "Ariel! We're finally going to be turned into mermaids! You heard Master Cogsworth – certain students will get special powers!"

"And the rest of the slugs." smirked Cordelia, casting an imperial glance around the auditorium, "will only get magical objects."

"You should be excited!" Lana insisted, patting Ariel's knee. "Ariel! We've been waiting for this all of our lives!"

Ariel shook her head. "This isn't a popularity contest." she mumbled, sinking into her seat.

"What?" Lana asked, "You say something, Deary?"

Ariel rolled her eyes. "No." she said acidly, making sure her tone implied the lie. "When do I ever say anything?"

Boiling inside, Ariel pulled out a beanie. Disgruntled, she pulled the green and purple pattern over her forehead.

She couldn't stand to see Lana, Peter and the rest of her friends treating this whole prophecy thing so frivolously! Ariel was convinced the prophecy and the bomb attack were somehow related.

Regardless, yesterday, the bomb almost killed her! Thank the sea and stars for those nice sailors. She might have died. But even that didn't make sense – Daddy had looked so scared when the sailor – Captain Hook – brought her home. Don't speak of it! Daddy had ordered. And don't talk to that boy ever again!

Ariel tuned in her seat. No problems there...she wasn't even sure if the boy she'd saved was a student. She'd never seen him before. She didn't even know his name.Sadly, Ariel braided a strand of hair. Then why couldn't she stop thinking about him?

Annoyed, Ariel pulled the beanie further over her eyes as Lana tapped her shoulder. "Leave me alone." Ariel said, scooting her arm away from Lana.

Unperturbed, Lana shrugged. "Bee-otch." she smiled, returning to Peter. Suddenly she frowned. "Peter? Peter what are you looking at?"

She frowned, following Peter's gaze before he could pull it away.

"Who's she?" sneered Lana. Across the auditorium, Wendy had been joined by Jim. Lana raised an eyebrow as Wendy and Jim embraced and immediately started whispering. "And what's she doing with the hot sauce?"

Peter put his arm around Lana. "Think the Rat-Tail is cute?"

"You think the prude is cute?"

Peter grinned. He pulled on Lana's earring. "Touché. Naw, too skinny. Can't sink my teeth into that piece of meat. But Rat-Tail..."

Remaining otherwise immobile, Peter rubbed Lana's shoulder as Jim looked up, making eye contact. Distracted, Wendy turned as well. She and Peter met gazes.

Suddenly inspired, Peter reached into his pocket. He took out the metallic orb, stolen yesterday from Jim and Wendy.

Mockingly, Peter tossed the orb into the air.

"Looks pretty friendly to me." mumbled Lana, purposefully planting her tongue against Peter's ear. Shooting a threatening glare across the auditorium, she waited for Wendy to return to Jim. "Sure your...not interested?"

"It's just a game." Peter muttered. Ponderously, he fingered the metallic orb, watching the back of Wendy's head. "It's always just a game. And I always win."

"Hey." Peter and Lana turned as Flynn pointed to the stage. "Check it. It's Master Merlin."

"Should we get back to our sectors?" Aladdin asked unenthusiastically.

But before Peter could deny, the lights dimmed.

Master Merlin smiled at the students. Suddenly he did not look like the crazy old coot, Master Merlin teacher. Bathed in blue light he looked...mysterious. Magical.

Ariel and Peter sat up in their seats. Pushing back her beanie, Ariel suddenly became aware that bodies were filling the auditorium surroundings. Magical looking bodies.

Twisting about, Ariel caught sight of a dwarf wearing yellow and a fairy wearing blue. The dwarf squirmed bashfully. The fairy nodded gracefully.

Ariel smiled.

"Students." Master Merlin held out his arms, beaming. "May I present your headmaster: Headmaster Mickey...and the Magic Bag of Tricks! Headmaster Mickey...? Yes...you can come out now."