Chapter 30: Bella Note

A little bell, tied to a string, clanged against the glass door as Wendy entered Tony's Restaurant. Instantly, her nose filled with the most heartwarming mix of spice, savory, and sweet that only Italians can pull off.

Blissfully, Wendy lost herself in the checkered tiles and glowing candlelight. She was tempted to let her worries melt into the bubbling pasta pots.

Then, she heard a wine bottle chinking against a wine glass. The chinks were followed by slurred, Brittish blubber.

Heavy-hearted, Wendy forced her rigidity to return. Lifting her chin and squeezing her backpack straps, she searched for her father.

"Hey! Wen."

"Jim." Urgently, Wendy stepped forward. She was so anxious for her father, Jim's red-checkered apron went unnoticed. "Jim, where is he? Where's Father?"

"In the corner." Jim glanced over his shoulder. His new boss, a thick Italian named Tony, was chatting with an Incan family of five.

Deciding Tony was reasonably distracted, Jim pocketed his notepad. "Come on."

"Father left right after John came home." Wendy explained apologetically as Jim wove between the round tables. Vaguely Wendy heard a mandolin. "He was so angry. Something about...dating Tigerlily. He called her..." Wendy bit her lip. "...a savage."

Jim thought back. He remembered the little Indian girl with pigtails. "How'd Mike take it?"

Wendy shook her head. "Not well. It was a trying day. And then when Father started..." Haggardly, Wendy ran a hand through her hair. "Jim, I don't know how much longer I can keep pretending. John and Michael...they're getting older. Asking questions."

Jim turned, surprised. Wendy rarely expressed frustration with her father let alone discuss it openly. It was almost as if she believed avoiding the matter would make it untrue.

Wendy straightened, spotting Mr. Darling. He was sprawled across a table, idly looping his finger in and out an empty wine bottle. A clove of garlic hung over his drunken head.

Wendy sighed. "What am I going to do?" she whispered, crossing the room to her father.

Jim watched. "Dunno..."he said truthfully as Wendy gently rubbed her father's shoulder. Granting Wendy privacy, Jim grabbed three empty bread baskets.

He turned right into Tony.

"Giacomo!" Tony's displeasure rumbled from his enormous belly. "Giacomo! What you do? I have-a emp-a-ty glasses on tables sei and dieci!"

"My bad –"

"And the napkins!" continued Tony, pointing to the kitchen. "The fresh ones need a-folding!"

"On it." said Jim, heading for the kitchen.

"Y per favore..." Tony caught Jim under the arm. Pulling him back, Tony nodded at Mr. Darling. "You know this man? This man that drinks all the Chianti without pay?"

Jim looked. Wendy had cleared the table. She sat quietly by her father, unable to coax him. The check sat in front of her.

"Yeah." Jim said. He reached for an empty glass and another bread basket. "Just take it out of my salary."

Tony stopped him again. Soft eyed, he gestured to Wendy. "The bambolina. She is his famiglia?"

Jim nodded. "Daughter."

"Ahhh." A spaghetti smile lifted Tony's tomato red cheeks. "L'affetto verso i genitori e fondamento di ogni virtu."

Jim blinked. "Ok."