Chapter 8: Monday Mornings Suck

"Jim? Jim? Goodness! What on earth –"

Jim strode past Wendy and into the kitchen. Grimly, he slumped onto the nearest chair.

"Bad night." He said dryly.

The kettle started to scream. Jim massaged his temples. His jacket sleeves still smelled thickly of smoke. "Really bad night. God. Monday mornings suck."

"What ever happened?" Wendy asked, sliding aside the kettle and reaching for the coffee grounds. The dry, rich aroma revitalized Jim as she popped open the lid.

"Fire." Jim answered, faced masked, "There was a fire."

"Jim! In the Benbow?"

"Yeah."

"Last night?"

"Uh-huh."

"Jim, how—how horrid! How—but your mother! Is she all right?" Wendy's hand crossed over his shoulders as she pulled up beside him. Her eyes were wide with worry. Jim folded his hands, waiting for the inevitable waterfall of words.

"Where is she now? Oh tell me she's all right! The Benbow – is it, well I mean...is it...burnt? How did it happen? Why didn't you come here last night? Where did you sleep? Were you hurt? Are you all right? My goodness but your exhausted, of course you are!"

"Wen –"

"You're in no condition for school!" Wendy announced. She stood up briskly, taking Jim by the hand. "I think you should go to bed. You can stay here. Father will sleep all day, he won't take notice—"

"Wen—"

"Come on, upstairs. I'll bring back your homework—"

"Wen." Pulling away his hand, Jim backed toward the doorway. In two minutes, Wendy had documented every thought and every emotion festering inside him. It was kathartic in a way, saving Jim the trouble of processing the information himself, but at this moment there wasn't enough space in his head for sympathetic, practical chatter. He needed...well...right now he needed coffee.

"Mom is ok. Friend of the family took us in last night." Jim leaned on the counter. Wendy frowned. Concern still laced her every feature, but she nodded invitingly at the coffee. Turning, Jim reached for a chipped mug, snatching a teabag for Wendy on the way down.

"We don't know what happened." Jim sat. Closing his eyes, he let the coffee steam roll across his throbbing forehead. "It was late....dark...who the Hell knows..."

Wendy steeped her tea, agitatedly fingering the string. "The...the Benbow?"

Jim stared into his coffee. "Gone."

Wendy exhaled quietly. "Gone?"

"Gone." His reflection in the black coffee was dark and glaring. Jim looked away.

Wendy opened her mouth. She closed it again, before venturing a small, "Jim...I'm...I'm so sorry. Truly sorry. I—"

Wendy paused. A storm of wet coughs erupted in the living room. It sounded like someone was choking. An instant later, two pairs of footsteps stampeded down the stairs.

"Oh dear..."Wendy murmured. Deftly, she stood and poured a second mug of coffee.

"The boys are coming down," she said, stooping under the sink and producing a bottle of Tabasco. Jim grimaced, remembering Tiana's monologue from last night. He watched as Wendy stirred hot sauce into the cup. Hurriedly, she headed for the living room.