Chapter 53: Kill The Beast

"Where the HELL have you been? Hey!"

Furiously, Jim plowed after Wendy. Pushing through a line of mermaids, he grabbed the sleeve of her hoodie.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

Wendy kept walking, pulling against Jim. "I can't talk, and I don't want to talk. I have to find – "

"—would you just turn around and listen to me!"

Furiously, Jim carted Wendy into the bleachers. The heat from the pool breathed chlorine fog into the air. Already in bikini's, the mermaids dove underwater. Captain Li Shang was barking instructions as students trudged in and out of the locker rooms.

Jim held Wendy by the shoulders. "Where have you been? Do you how stupid it is to disappear just because you have a temper tantrum?"

Wendy twisted away. "Let go."

"I'll let go when I'm through."

"Oh is that so?" Wendy pushed away Jim's hands. People started to stare. "So you can touch me but I can't touch you?"

Jim fumed. "Wen, I told you that was an accident! It was a knee jerk; a reaction. I didn't know what I was doing!"

"Clearly." Wendy huffed. She stood up from the bleachers.

Jim wrenched her back down. "Oh no you don't! Sit! Listen – this is what we are going to do – "

Fighting Wendy's incensed protests, Jim pointed to the pool door. "No more playing games. We are going straight to the Headmaster, showing him the paper airplane, and tell him all the shit Pan has put you throu –"

"No!" Wendy suddenly interrupted. "Jim I know you mean well but I've just been with the Headmaster. And – "

"—Did you tell him about the paper airplane?"

"...no."

"Well, did you tell him about Pan?"

Wendy crossed her arms. "You don't know if Peter was involved."

Incredulous, Jim sat back. "I'll take that risk. And even if he didn't send the note, I've seen enough to convict Pan for life."

"Jim – "

" – he stole my orb, which I still haven't gotten back, and he has harassed the crap out of you for the entire year! So," Jim said, talking Wendy's hands. "Stop arguing, I'm taking you to report Pan to the Headmaster."

"No." Wendy pushed Jim's hands against his chest. "No, we are not and you're not going to say a word to the Headmaster about Peter!"

Jim could not believe his ears. "Excuse me? Wen, what the Hell?"

"Language!" Wendy spat. Popping up, she stepped off the bleachers. "For once in your life could you please stop swearing!"

"And for once in your life!" Jim seized the back of Wendy's hoodie. Almost slipping on the slick pool cement, he yank her around. "Could you stop pretending that everything is okay?"

"Everything is okay!" Wendy exclaimed, ripping back her hoodie. The needle flashed in the blue fabric. "And everything is going to be okay if you just leave me alone and let me find Peter!"

"Let you find Peter?!" Jim raked a hand through his hair. "What is this, a guilt trip for the shadow thing?"

"No," Wendy stammered. "Just trust me and leave Peter alone."

"Wendy!" Jim exclaimed, " Just turn the ass hole in! Have some guts! My God Wen, it's like you have a crush on him!"

Wendy flinched. Her mouth snapped shut. Suddenly, her cheeks turned bright red.