Chapter 99: Best Friends For Never

"FETCH THE CHOSEN ONES! BRING THEM UP DECK YOU MISERABLE, LOVELY SCROGS!"

The sails waved as the pirates and villains cheered. Punctuating Captain Hook's command with a volley of gun shots, the mob paraded across the deck and into the brig.

Jim watched. Blood, thick and black bulged from his finger. He looked down. His reflection in Billy Bone's map was smeared, warped, and ugly.

Jim spoke. He clenched the map as the villains paved a path to the brig. "How do I know you're not lying? How do I know you have Ariel?"

Captain Hook glanced. His smile was wide enough to hide Silver's grimace and set Maleficent's eyes on fire.

"I believe…" Hook said, turning Jim's face to the bulwark. Over ship's side, surrounded by a dark water, Ursula, the mermaids, and Monstro slithered between waves. Captain Hook waited until Ursula emerged, Ariel's trident curled between her tentacles. "….that risk is yours to take."

Jim growled as the captain's hook pried into his back. "But know this Jim Hawkins….." said Captain Hook, forcing Jim across the deck. Maleficent and Silver followed as the villains poured out of the brig, "...for all eyes and all to see, you are now a pirate…remember that….one foul move…just one…"

The villains cheered. Jim tilted his head, shielding it from the blood red sun as they climbed out of the brig like insects out of a hive. Suddenly, his heart stopped. Battered between the villains and pirates were Peter and Wendy.

"…and there will be death." whispered Hook, bringing Jim forward with Maleficent and Silver beside. He grinned as Wendy was thrown over a pirate's shoulder and carried ahead of the screaming crowd. "That I promise…is not a lie, Jim Hawkins. Pirate of the Jolly Roger. MATES!"

Captain Hook swept forward, under the billowing sails. Jim felt Silver press behind him, but could only stare as Peter was strangled and Wendy was lifted into the air. Laughing as Peter shouted, the pirate reared, then hurled Wendy at Hook's feet.

"MATES!" Captain Hook continued, raising the laughter in his throat. Ravenously he seized Wendy's wrist. He wrenched her upright. Jim gagged at the bloody letters sliced across her white arm. "HEROS OF DARKNESS! MY FRIENDS! I GIVE YOU…. THE CHOSEN ONES!"

Jim felt sick. Without thinking, he stepped forward but Silver pulled him back. Bumped by dancing villains and cackling pirates, Jim squeezed the map as Wendy and Peter were mocked.

Peter, ankles chained to the mast, was forced onto his knees. Madam Mim, Mother Gothel, and the Queen of Hearts swooped over, petting his head and shrieking when one suddenly ripped his hair or yanked his pointed ears. Peter, furiously jerking up and down, tried to fly away. But the pirates dragged back his chains and held him still, allowing Cruella De Ville to twist a burning cigarette into his elvin face.

Wendy pulled against Captain Hook. Her wounds split, opening the skin, but she pulled harder, reaching for Peter. Captain Hook waited, letting Wendy stretch as far as she could before releasing. Wendy tripped but scrambled towards Peter.

Jim stepped against Silver as Scar pounced at Wendy, claws ripping her shoelaces. Wendy fell back. Instinctively, Jim clenched Silver as a huge man – the pirates chanted "Shan Yu!"— caught Wendy and pushed her at Scar. The lion bit the hem of Wendy's camisole and pulled, nearly ripping it off her body. Covering her head and hugging the camisole, Wendy curled as Scar snapped and swiped.

"Wendy!"

Wendy looked up. Her blue eyes were luminous against the dirty ship. "Michael?"

Jim turned. Michael Darling, little Michael, ran across the deck. Jim stopped breathing. A rope was tied around Michael's neck. The villain behind him, a skeletal woman called Esma, flung the rope gleefully back and forth as Michael tried to reach his sister. "Wendy! Wendy! Wendy!"