Chapter 100: Was It Worth It?

"MATES!" Silver bellowed, tracheal microphones projecting his voice, "TODAY! WE HAVE THE CHOSEN ONES! TODAY!" Triumphantly, Silver shook Jim's arm. "WE TAKE FANTASIA!"

The response was deafening. Ice rattled off the sails as the pirates, villains, seawitch, and mermaids roared. Jim spun about, dangling from Silver's hand like a fish on a hook. Over his shoulder, Wendy and Michael were dragged to Peter and snarled in pirate arms. Jim twisted, trying to make eye contact with Wendy.

"In that last battle — " Silver yelled, wrenching Jim about. "—in the last battle the Chosen One was against us! The Chosen One broke the Wishing Star and put it back together leaving us tormented by the demons and shadows he brought with an ill-fated wish! Aye — back luck we had — "

"—ARGH!"

"— defeat we suffered!—"

"—ARGH!"

"—and run we were by the puny little mouse and his guardians to the very nooks of Hell!"

"—ARGH! ARGH! ARGH!"

"BUT NO MORE!" Silver yelled, turning in rapid circles. "This time me maties, we have Fantasia by the throat! THIS time...we have the advantage! WE HAVE THE ENCHANTED ROSE!"

Silver turned, pointing past Jim. With an insane cackle, the Queen of Hearts lifted Belle's enchanted rose.

"The enchanted rose!" A pink petal fluttered from the sepal as Silver shouted. "The rose that wilts with Fantasia! The rose that dies as Fantasia dies!" Silver pointed to the sky. "The rose that twill tell us when the Wishing Star is broken and our battle is won!"

Jim flinched. The red mark bled over his wrist as Silver charged across the deck. His fingers twitched as the villains directed themselves apart, clearing Silver's path to Peter, Michael, and Wendy.

"WE HAVE THE CHOSEN ONE!" Silver beckoned and Wendy was ripped from Michael. "The lass with the celestial thread! The little seamstress that will unstitch the Wishing Star from the sky!"

The villains cheered, tossing Wendy back and forth. Hatred gut Jim as a pirate wrenched Wendy's head backwards and kissed her cheek.

"Stop." Jim growled beneath his breath. He clenched Silver as the pirate's tongue dug into Wendy's ear. "Tell them to fucking stop."

Silver beamed, guffawing to the sky. "WE HAVE THE CHOSEN SECOND!" he continued, pointing at Peter Pan. Peter's chains were lifted, and he was hung upside-down.

Peter wrenched, flung, and fought. But as Peter dangled, Captain Hook calmly approached, raised his hook...

"Peter!" Wendy screamed.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"The boy who can fly!" Silver bellowed as Peter clamped a hand over the gash split down his skull, cheek, and pointed ear. Jim gawked — Captain Hook has severed the tip of Peter's ear completely off. He stepped forward, but Silver pushed him back. "The boy who will carry the little seamstress into the starry sky! AND...."

Jim's shoulder popped as Silver raised it into the sky. "...WE HAVE THE CHOSEN THIRD! JIM HAWKINS! The boy with Billy Bone's map! The boy that will chart the course..." Silver squeezed, letting blood gush from Jim's hand. "...to the Wishing Star!"

"LET THAT NOT STAND ALONE!" Silver continued, shaking Jim with mock congratulations. "For Maleficent tells me...that Mickey Mouse, Mickey the King..." Silver punched a fist into the sky. "...IS DEAD!"

The roar was deafening. The cries curdled clouds and scattered constellations.

Jim held his stomach. It was as if Silver had pushed a sword into his belly and through his spine. Dead. Dead. Headmaster Mickey....was dead.