Chapter 39: The Shadow Worker

"She's killing him!"

"She's killing Peter!"

"Peter!"

"Help! Somebody help!"

"She is KILLING PETER!"

Wendy slammed onto her back. Peter landed on top of her. He convulsed like a corpse attached to invisible strings. Terrified, Wendy wriggled beneath him, trying to break free.

Sweat and spit ran from Peter's mouth as he screamed blindly into Wendy. Veins bulging, he cracked his neck. His hand hyperextended. Wendy's needle was sticking out of his palm.

Wendy pushed against Peter. Straining, she ripped out the needle. And as she drew back, the unthinkable unfolded.

The needle threaded through something silky as mist, cold as ice, and dark as night.

The needle threaded through Peter's shadow.

And separated the shadow from Peter's body.

Peter's screams stabbed through Wendy's ears like a knife. The shadow fluttered, twisting against the skewered thread. Vaporously, it slunk across the thread, pulling against Peter and stretching intangible stitches.

"No! No! No!" Wendy scuffled as Peter's shadow shot a murky hand at her face. "No! No! Please! Stop! Stop! NO!"

Wendy kicked away. The thread snapped. Peter's shadow ripped like a scab from the boy's body and tore into Wendy.

Wendy screamed. The shadow grabbed her legs, seized her wrist, clawed her hair, and dove into her face.

"Wendy!"

Soaking wet with blood and water, Jim forced through the crowd. Students, both revived by Master Merlin and crossing the finish line, were packed with shouting adults. Regardless of the danger or direction to stay away, Jim shoved through Mistress Minnie and Headmaster Mickey.

"Wendy!" Falling to his knees, Jim grabbed Wendy's hand. "Wend – AH!"

"Don't touch her, Lad!"

Jim yelled as Silver seized him about the waist. The shafts of the cyborg's metal fingers dug into his stomach wound as Silver yanked. The force was outstanding, powered by mechanical springs, but Jim could not be moved from Wendy.

Jim's fingers burned, as if his nails were peeling from the flesh. Tendrils of his shadow stretched from his body.

He couldn't breath. He couldn't see. Memories, nightmares, infected his mind. Every thought obsessed over his father...walking away...never coming back...never coming back...

And...Jim saw himself. Guarded. Isolated. Hard. Coldhearted.

Becoming the man he hated. Becoming evil. Becoming...his father.

"Hold, Lad!"

Jim jolted. Sparks popped behind his eyes and electricity crackled through his nerves. Gasping, Jim shook his head. His eyes opened when Wendy screamed.

"Wendy!"

"Back, Lad!" Metal cords coiled from Silver's shoulder, restraining Jim. Angrily, the cygborg reeled in the cords. "I saved yer sorry hide once! Get back!"

"Get off!" Jim's boots slipped in the dirt. Desperately he watched the shadow devour Wendy. "Get the Hell off! Wendy – "

"She's a shadow worker, Lad!" Silver roared, wrenching the cords. Jim slammed onto his chest. Silver pulled, red eye on Wendy. "She'll tear yer very soul from yer body!"

"W-what?" Jim felt sick. He remembered the needle, unraveling Peter's shadow as Wendy drew away. "Oh my God! God! Somebody help! Somebody help her!"

"No use, Lad." Silver covered Jim with his fists. Grimly, he turned, following orders with the rest of the crowd to leave. "Can only say yer prayers now."

"No!" Jim shouted, clawing against the cyborg's iron muscles. "No!"

"BELAY IT LAD!"

"NO! Wendy! Wendy! Someone! Someone help her! Someone - Headmaster! Headmaster!"

Headmaster Mickey closed his eyes. Selfishly, he covered his round, velvety ears.

This had happened before.

And it was happening again.

And it was all his fault.

"Mickey?"

Sadly, Mickey looked up. Minnie and Pluto gazed back, faces tortured with memory.

The boy – Peter Pan – lay beside Minnie as she ran a hand through his messy, red hair. Pluto whimpered against the unconscious boy's hand. He licked Peter's fingers. A small, metal orb rolled from the boy's hand.

"Take him to the castle." Headmaster Mickey whispered. "Find Merlin. Then Dr. Sweet."

Wretchedly, he turned to the girl – Wendy. The shadow hissed as Mickey approached, smoldering over the girl's skin like black acid.

Wordlessly, Headmaster Mickey eased beside Wendy. He cringed, looking away from the tears in her sightless eyes.

Suddenly, observing the long shadow, Headmaster Mickey glimpsed a touch of silver around Wendy's neck.

"Hold on." Bracing himself Headmaster Mickey placed a hand on Wendy's forehead. He slid the other under Peter' shadow. The silver thimble closed around his fingers. "Hold on."