Chapter 77: Sunset on the First Day

Wendy rolled over Jim. She blinked. She lifted her head.

"Peter –!"

"Wen LOOK OUT!"

BANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBADDABANGBANGBANG!

Chunks of ice exploded as gunfire chewed through the Headmaster's door. Covering her head, Wendy raced for Peter – closest to the threshold – as Jim, Mulan, and Flynn seized furniture to use as a barricade.

"Duck!" Robin yelled, notching an arrow. Without waiting he pulled back and released.

Wendy ducked as the arrow zipped through a bullet hole and hissed into someone with a hacking scream. Wendy lifted and ducked again as Merida's arrow followed Robin's, ending the scream.

"AVAST YE SCROGS!" Silver's voice roared over the gunfire. "BREAK DOWN THE BLOODY DOOR!"

"Not if I can help it!" Jim growled pushing his shoulder into the headmaster's desk. The desk tipped. Jim pushed harder, ignoring the shatter of glass as the vase holding Belle's magical rose smashed to the ground. "Flynn! Mulan! Push! Wen move! Leave Pan there!"

Wendy looked over her shoulder. Then, ignoring Jim she scampered for Peter. Balancing on one knee, she braced and pulled him from the doorway. The huge desk cracked against the doorframe as she fell back, Peter flopped between her legs.

The pirates heaved hoed, whipped by Silver's command. The door bumped against the desk. But the barricade held.

"Take that!" Flynn yelled, punching the air. "Try to break through n – WHOA!"

BOOM!

A dent the size of a cannon ball bulged into the door.

Then, Facilier's shadow slithered under the threshold.

Flynn swerved, swinging his frying pan as Facilier's shadow burst into his face.

"Shiiiiiiit!" Flynn batted the frying pan uselessly at the shadow. "Oh shit this hurts! AH!"

"Flynn!" Rapunzel leapt forward, swinging her hair. Skirting around Facilier's shadow, she lassoed Flynn an jerked him away.

Hissing, the shadow rebounded from Rapunzel's magical hair, using it's momentum to attack the nearest victim. Clawing like a rabid animal, it jumped from Merida, to Robin, to Mulan, to Ariel, to Jim, sucking memories and igniting nightmares.

"Wen!" Jim yelled, crashing into the closet. Three surprised faces – John, Tigerlily, and Wart – squealed as their hiding place was uncovered.

Facilier's shadow grinned, extending it's malice to the three younger students. Jim threw a fist, but his hand melted into the shadow's icy heart. Jim heard Wart scream as Sinbad's face reflected in his future. "Wen!"

"Think of something happy!" Wendy's voice exclaimed dimly, as if she were shouting underwater. "That's the only way!...to get rid of!...the shadow!...Jim!... John!... Tigerlily!... Wart!... Jim!... LET GO!"

Jim writhe as Wendy amputated Facilier's shadow from his mind. It felt like she was peeling a scab off his entire body.

Gasping, Jim jolted up. He could smell Ariel as she propped him over her shoulder. Struggling to open his eyes, Jim searched for Wendy.

Wendy stood in the center of the room, Facilier's shadow in hand. Her thin, tiny muscles were taught and shaking with effort. Again her arm was marked with black veins as the shadow pulsed through her blood. The needled glinted in and out of the black current churning between her fingers.