Chapter 93: The Chosen Two

Silver threw Jim. Unable to maintain balance, Jim ran three steps before tumbling into the captain's cabin. Wack! Dark gold things smashed. Jim turned and tripped over the treasure. Around him, dark figures bundled together, laughing and clearing a path for the cyborg.

Razed of all restraint, Jim tore upright. He was furious, livid, uncontrolled.

He charged. He attacked.

Had not the pirates reached him first, Jim would have killed Silver.

"Easy!" An infuriating croon decorated Silver's voice. Polishing Billy Bone's map over his heart, Silver ruffled Jim's hair. "Easy now Jimbo! Easy! Can't have those manners in the presence of Fantasia's most fearsome cap'n. Now can we?"

"Get off!" Bound by four pirates, Jim thrashed, throwing Silver's hand from his head. "Get the fuck off of me!"

"Manners!" repeated Silver, tossing the map lightly in an arc over his head. The smile on his face widened as candles were lit, one by one. "Lest ye displease the elegant Cap'n Hook."

Jim responded by biting the closest pirate's neck.

"ARGH! Bloodly little – "

"Stick 'im one!"

"Slice 'im!"

"Tear his gizzard out!"

"Pop his jugulars!"

"Rip his tongue – "

Jim buckled as the pirates clawed. All at once firsts slammed into his face, breaking his nose, lips, and skin. A stone-sized fist crushed into his stomach. Breathless, Jim doubled over, jacket ripping up his back.

Belle's enchanted rose slipped from his pocket and fell to the floor.

"And now!"

Jim's neck cracked. His head snapped back by a fistful of hair.

"And now!" said the pirate, rearing back his club. Jim's eyes widened as it swung into his face. "And now we push his skull in!"

BANG.

"Hold him still."

Jim breathed. The pirate squeezed his hair, extending his neck until the skin started to split.

Slowly, Jim heard footsteps. Delicate, purposeful footsteps that gouged his ears like a needle.

Then, he saw the hook.

"The cyborg's pet."

Jim held his breath. The captain placed the hook against his throat. Saliva and sweat collected behind his tongue. Jim hacked, trying not to swallow. Half a gasp escaped. His skin tensed under the hook's sharp point.

Jim dared not move. But, as the ship waved, the candles slid, throwing the captain into dim, dirty light.

Jim couldn't see much.

But he could see the captain looking at him

Straight at him.

Then spotting the enchanted rose, the captain moved. The hook drew blood.

Jim growled. Billy Bones had warned him. He had warned him! Beware of the man with the metal hand. But he hadn't been talking about Silver. He'd been talking about this pirate.

Captain Hook.

"Where…" Captain Hook shifted, hook still angled against Jim's throat. Intrigued, he held up the enchanted rose, twirling the stem between his fingers. "Where did you get this?"