Chapter 106: Taking Fantasia - Shadow and Land

Chapter 106: Taking Fantasia - Shadow on Land

The Jolly Roger crashed. The deck split, flinging all contents, matter and men, into the surf. Jim grabbed Michael but snapped instantly away as the hull careened half in the shore, half in the ocean.

Sinking in sand, Jim clawed under the ship. Fleetingly he saw B.E.N., badly dented, but carrying Michael into the students. Mulan charged but her ranks scattered as Maleficent attacked.

"Dragon! Dragon!"

"Don't fall out! Don't fall out! Chin Po! Ling! Yao! Stay together!"

"Oh my God what is that?"

"Weapons up!"

"Mulan! Look! There's something else! Blackness! Coming from the forest! It's – "

"—It's –"

"—It's –"

Jim broke through villains as Wendy and Peter crashed into the surf. Spray jackknifed as they rolled through wet sand. Peter threw out his legs as the pirates attacked and Maleficent's fire ruptured over the students.

Jim ducked. Fire burned over his head. Mulan was shouting at him. Merida and Robin were gesturing but he could not hear. Rolling through heat waves Jim yelled for Ariel. He could just see her, a wild swinging streak against Ursula's tentacles as mermaids hissed, fish jumped, and Eric rallied students into Ariel's aid.

Eyes smoky and stinging, Jim sprinted for the ocean.

Suddenly sand burst into his face. Jim lost sight of Ariel as Silver advanced, spraying laser beams from his robotic arm. Tinkerbell, Iridesca, and Fawn swarmed, but the cyborg blasted through the pixies, cutting Jim from the shore.

"Ye picked the wrong fight!" Silver lunged for Jim's throat. "That map is owed te me!"

Jim jumped at the robotic hand, diverting it to his shoulder. Jim held his ground, neck to neck with the cyborg.

Silver's gears churned, pressing down. "Hand it over." he growled as Jim strained under his arm. "Or do I have te get nasty?"

Jim clenched his teeth. Knees giving, he twisted as Silver reached for the map.

"Ahead! The sky! THE SKY!"

Silver's robotic eye flipped up. Then, it dimmed.

Shadows. The shadows smeared the sky, spreading like oil. They dripped into Facilier's palm before hissing from Wendy's magical needle. Facilier's shadow sliced through the sky, shepherding the demons as they snapped in and out of the Shadow Man's hand.

"TAKE IT!" Captain Hook screamed, raising the villainous cry. "TAKE FANTASIA!"

Facilier raised his hand.

The shadows pulled back, building and bulging into the sky. They shrieked like tortured animals and moved like maggots on a black corps.

"Back!" Jim yelled. Wrenching against Silver, he searched for Mulan. "Back! Back! Everybody back! Into the forest! The shadows! The shadows – "

Silver pushed. Jim fell, head cracking back.

Then he saw Wendy.  Skin red in the firelight, she sprinted for Facilier and the shadows.

She's going for the thimble! Jim thrashed, but Silver was stronger.

"Come on!" John Darling leapt ahead of the students, Tigerlily bounding behind. Mulan, Robin, and Merida carried the attack as the villains charged. "Come on! That's my sister!"