Chapter 116: The Sound of Silence

She had sobbed.

She had prayed.

She had begged.

She had screamed.

All in silence.

Ariel had saved Fantasia. She had defeated Ursula, the seawitch. She had reclaimed her trident. She had conjured a whirlpool deathtrap. She had buried the demons and villains in an underwater grave.

And it had cost her voice.

There were no medical remedies. No healing potions. No magical words. There was nothing, Admiral Triton had cried, hand running down her cheek, that could bring her voice back.

That was when Ariel ran. She ran blindly, refusing to believe that she could never laugh or sing. She burrowed into the farthest corner she could find, slamming the door behind her and cursing the sharp, resonant sound. She shoved her trident into the keyhole and screamed for those that followed to go away. She sobbed when they could not hear, and she squeezed her windpipe when they kept insisting that everything would be fine.

When they left, and the hall was silent as she, Ariel wrenched out the triden and aimed it at her throat. Remembering how Ursula had sliced out her voice, Ariel tried the same. Relentlessly, she gouged the trident up her neck. Nothing worked. The teeth never broke the skin. But the trident's electricity scorched and burned until Ariel crumbled.

And Ariel lay. In the silence.

Silence.

Silence can be delightful. Silence can be the flawless canvas to paint with soliloquy or song. Silence can be the pure vacuum of clarity for both cluttered and imaginative minds. And silence can be the sweetness of doing nothing at all.

But silence…can be dangerous. Silence can be the loneliest sound. Silence can be the affirmation of every doubt, every fear, and every self-loathing belief. And silence can be the catalyst to madness.

Ariel was trapped in this world. Cold. Dark. And silence.

Never again would she speak.

Never again would she laugh.

Never again would she sing.

And never…not even for the first time…

…would she tell Jim Hawkins she loved him.

And she was sure, because of this curse, he would never love her.

So she hid.

Infected with the sound of silence.

Until the keyhole cracked. The trident popped out like a gun shot.

And Jim Hawkins stood in the doorway.

"Say something."