Chapter 125: Rise of the Guardians

"Michael your teddy bear is sewed. Try not to drag him in the mud. John, clean your glasses before school, and both of you make sure your shoes are tied. Wash behind your ears and remember, no sweets to spoil dinner. John, Michael is scared of thunderstorms; and Michael, put a magic blanket over your head until John comes. Mind Mrs. Hawkins. Study well in school but do remember to play outside for a little every day - "

"-Little Mother." Peter knelt beside Wendy. He helped her straighten Michael's collar. "-so many rules. Don't worry. These boys will walk the straight line."

Peter playfully narrowed his eyes. "Right, men?"

Halfheartedly John smiled. "Aye, aye sir."

Michael hugged Wendy. "Who will tell my story tonight?"

Wendy closed her eyes. "Shall I tell it now?"

Michael sucked his thumb. That meant yes.

"Once upon a time..." Wendy rubbed Michael, vigorously trying to spark his bravery. "...there was a little boy. And his brother. They were magical."

John hmphed to stop from crying. "This is about us. I sense a literary message."

Mrs. Hawkins joined them. John sniffed as she hugged his shoulder. "Why..." he asked, brushing under his glasses, "...why were they magical?"

"Because, John." Wendy said. "When these brothers were scared...they could be brave."

Mrs. Hawkins touched her cheek. John bit his lip.

"That's not magical."

Wendy smiled. She drew John to Michael. "Yes it is." She whispered, tangled in little brother hugs one last time. "Actually...it's the hardest thing in the world."

Ariel watched. She watched until Peter and Wendy were replaced with her sisters. Attina, Andrina, Arista, Aquata, and Alana. Adella was absent. She had joined Lana - and drown with her.

"This is so unfair! We're going to miss you little sister! Miss you awful!"

Ariel wrung her trident. But she hadn't time to regret Adella. She had only enough time to kiss her five sisters goodbye.

"This is soooo hard!"

"Eric says hi and bye!"

"Don't forget to text? Kay? Promise pretty please?"

"Can I have your room?"

"We love you Ariel." Attina stroked her sister's red hair. "And even though you can't speak, I'll never forget the sound of your amazing, beautiful voice. At the Snuggly Duckling. On karaoke night. Singing your heart out."

Arista sobbed. Andrina blew her nose. Alana told her not to use her sleeve. Aquata fished out a billion tissues. Composure gone, Attina departed with a wet kiss and tight hug.

"Ariel."

Admiral Triton approached his daughter, helpless as a ship lost at sea.

Ariel gazed. Then, pressing against his chest, she hugged her father.

I love you Daddy.

Admiral Triton felt the words. Salty tear in his beard, he receded, fingers drifting from Ariel's chin as Headmaster Mickey spoke.

"It's time."

Families, friends, and Fantasians withdrew. Flynn and Aladdin broke the line, risking Mr. Bubble's wrath to give Peter one more emotional hug, all manliness aside. Then, they too faded into the background, leaving Merlin, Headmaster Mickey, and King Arthur before the guardians at Pirate's Point.