Chapter 6: The Lost Boys and Lost Girls

Lilo considered.

Then, taking a handful of green hoodie she yanked hard. "BOO!"

"Jesus!"

Sweetly, Lilo smiled as the three older boys jumped. Spinning off the window sill and hiding a set of toy binoculars, Aladdin, Flynn, and Peter searched the room wildly. When they saw it was Lilo, rocking smugly on her heels, they scowled.

"Lilo!" Flynn clutched his chest, "Geeze girl. My aorta just exploded."

Lilo giggled as the boys returned to the window. "Watcha doin?"

Aladdin spoke over his shoulder, "Nothing. Go to bed. Hey!"

"I know what you're doing." announced Lilo, squirming between Aladdin and Peter. Happily, she pressed her nose against the glass. "And my sister told me it's bad!"

"Did she?"

"Yep! Real bad! She said you're peeping to—"

"—Lilo." Pressing a landline to her chest, Nani signaled to her little sister. "Lilo, leave those creeps alone."

"Yeah, Lilo." Peter said, "Leave us creeps alone."

Lilo pretended not to hear. The spitting image of her sister, Lilo squinted through her refection in the black window. Following the binoculars, she strained to see what the boys were looking at.

Three stories down, five people were stepping out of a car. Cocking her head, Lilo watched as her friends Mowgli and Tarzan said their goodbyes to....

Lilo's stomach rumbled. A family. A daddy with a big moustache and big tummy; a mommy with pretty hair and pretty eyes; and even a little brother with a little face and a little, goofy grin. Perfect. They were perfect.

Lilo scowled. She hated Mowgli for it! Well, she'd show him a thing or two later!

"How much you think they're worth?" Flynn mused as Tarzan shook hands with the prospective parents and gestured Mowgli to do the same.

Aladdin shrugged as Peter adjusted the plastic binocular dials. "Dude, who cares they've got a Porsche. And check it: that guy's definitely sporting the gold ring-blinage. He must be a politician or anesthesiologist or something."

"And a little brother," Peter leaned forward, "Bonus. Go Mowgli."

Half listening to her phone conversation, Nani crossed the room. She gazed out the window. Then, her sharp eyes fell softly on Lilo.

Sighing, Nani wound the phone cord around her finger. "David," she said wearily, "I'll see you tomorrow, ok? What? Ok...Lilo? Lilo, David wants to say goodnight."

Perking up, Lilo grabbed the phone. "Hi, David! Yes...no..." Lilo burst out laughing, "No!" she giggled, bouncing up and down. "No! What?....um...one sec..."

Lilo's eyes swept quickly over Nani, "...pajamas, why? I don't know, an Elvis shirt and yellow shorts with a hole in the bu—"

"—say goodnight!" Nani snapped as Peter, Aladdin, and Flynn turned simultaneously.

Lilo grinned as Mowgli and Tarzan entered the room. "Fine...David, I gotta go....No, I gotta go beat someone up now. Bye."

Slapping the phone in Nani's hand, Lilo hopped off the window sill and charged at Mowgli.

"Lilo!"

"Easy." Lilo swung, just missing Mowgli's head as Tarzan lift her onto his hip. He caught Mowgli by the forehead as the boy rushed forward at Lilo. "Calm down. Both of you."