Chapter 11: The Prophecy

"Once upon a time...there was a star."

Ariel fidgeted.

Around her, arms were crossing and legs were thrown onto the seats. The One Upon A Time speeches of Master Cogsworth were always long. And boring.

Ariel crossed her ankles to lock her tapping feet. Braiding a long red strand, she daydreamed about an evening run after swimming practice. Maybe she would swing by the track before heading to the beach; perhaps the track coach would see her...and...

Ariel smiled. How she would adore an offer to join the track team! But...

Guiltily, Ariel glanced sideways as if her sisters and cousins could read her thoughts. SHe had recently discovered that she loved to run. Futhermore, she was good at it! Or at least, that's what Ariel imagined. The only sure way to tell would be to join the track team.

But, Ariel, her sisters, and her cousins were swimmers. It was expected and tied into the status quo: swim team was exclusive. An exclusive bikini club for high school girls with mermaid lineage.

No one would understand. Glumly, Ariel slumped in her seat. She could hear Lana flirting violently one seat behind. Vaguely wondering who Lana had baited this time, Ariel focused on Master Cogsworth, realizing that the only way she would be allowed to run, was if she ran away.

"One upon a time, there was a star." Master Cogsworth repeated. Placing his hands behind his back, the clock spoke within the beat of his timepiece. "This star is one you know. The Wishing Star."

Ariel leaned forward. The Wishing Star? She thought that was just a myth.

"The Wishing Star, as you know, never changes position in the night sky. It forever hovers over this very castle. Even as I speak."

Ariel saw Eric and John shift in their seats. These boys were fellow Western Sectors, and sailors of sorts. They were also very boastful about navigating from the stars alone.

"Not many people realize..." Master Cogsworth continued carefully, "...that the Wishing Star was created from many star fragments, and sewn together with celestial thread. It has been said that the star fragments were pieces of broken souls. Souls that passed this life with regret, sorrow, anguish, and despair. Souls that never fulfilled their wishes....or saw their dreams come true."

Master Donald sniffed. Ariel slid her hands her thighs. She felt like curling under a blanket with a fluffy stuffed animal. Unperturbed with the damped mood, Master Cogsworth continued.

"Although it is currently not the case, centuries ago Fantasia was ruled by kings and queens. A single ruler, male or female, was granted a free wish from the Wishing Star. Every year, the monarch would make one wish for the good of the kingdom. Wishes were always granted."

Ariel was interested. Fantasia's government was segregated into the Sectors. She didn't know the entire country was once ruled by a king or queen.

"Lana shhhh." Ariel shushed, turning her head to Master Cogsworth. She wanted to hear more about the ancient Fantasia rulers.

"Then, a wish came to pass upon a young Fantasian King." said Master Cogsworth. Behind him, the teachers straightened in their seats as if mention of the king would draw his resurrection. "And he was the kindest of kings but...impulsive. Wanting the best for his people, the young king thought that two Wishing Stars would allow him to double the wishes for Fantasia. So...the young king wished for two Wishing Stars

Cogworth paused. His lips pursed back and forth. He seemed to mulling over what to say next.

"It was devastating." Master Cogsworth said. "The Wishing Star cracked – split into two pieces. A star to the left. And a star to the right. And when the Wishing Star split open..." said Master Cogsworth, his voice lowered an octave, "Evil souls poured out. Evil souls, demons, and monsters."