Chapter 62: Hooky

Chapter 62: Hooky

Ariel sprinted down the hallway, into the classroom, through the desks and slammed into the chair next to Wendy.

"Did you just kick Peter, Gaston, Kay, LeFou, and Facilier's butts?!"

Miserably, Wendy looked at Dr. Doppler preparing before class. "…um…I…yes." she whispered, hiding behind the sewing basket.

Ariel's face beamed. "Holy – " Throwing her head back, Ariel laughed.

"I didn't mean to." Wendy insisted, pulling down Ariel's chair. Worriedly, she glanced at Dr. Doppler and Belle – the only two other occupants. "It was an accident."

"I was just in a shrink session with Mr. Bubbles – " Ariel said through giggles. "—and then LeFou came in crying like a guppy, and I'm pretty sure he's scarred for life! So that was some accident!"

"Oh no." Wendy moaned, burying her head.

"Come on, they deserved it!" Ariel said, shaking Wendy's shoulder. "I mean after what happened yesterday? Ooooo, I love it! Wendy – you should get them tonight again at the ball!"

"I'm not going."

Ariel paused. Her excitement quickly died. "What? What do you mean you're not going?"

"To the ball." Wendy lifted tiredly from the table . "I'm not going."

Ariel shook her head. "Why?"

Wendy was silent. Then she shrugged. "Because."

"Because…?" Ariel prompted. "…you not like to dance?"

"No. I like to dance."

"Good. Then I don't see the problem. We can go together! Girl's night! Well technically Eric asked me, but we're not meeting until I get to the ba - "

"Ariel." Wendy turned in her seat. "Ariel, I'm not going."

"Why?"

"Because."

"Come on!" Ariel smiled incredulously. "Wendy! It's a ball! A ball! We get to stay up late and dress like princesses! What is it – you don't have a dress?"

Wendy's cheeks turned pink. "…no."

"Me neither!" Ariel hopped in her seat. Scooting closer, she grasped Wendy's hands. "Neither do any of my sisters or cousins! They all skipped school today and I wasthinking that we could just do the same thing! What do you say? Skip school? Get dresses? Play a little hooky?

Wendy shook looked horrified. "Hooky? Ariel no!"

"Wendy!" Ariel begged, "Come on! It's easy, but we have to go now! Come on!"

"Ariel." Wendy slightly raised her voice. "We can't miss school—"

"One day! What's the harm? WAIT! Wendy...?" Ariel pointed accusingly. "Is this just an excuse not to hang out with me because my stupid sister and cous—"

"—I can't afford it."

Ariel stopped. She lowered her finger. "Oh."

Wendy bit her lip. Apologetically, she turned away. "I'm…sorry. I'd like to…but…"

"—What if you didn't have to pay?"

Ariel's eyes were bright. Earnestly, she leaned over the desk. "What if you could just borrow the dress for one evening? Just for the ball?"

Wendy cocked her head. "You're not going to…steal?"

"No!" Ariel laughed at Wendy's horror. "No, no, no! The dress shop my sisters and I go to lends out dresses all the time. You know…like runway dresses you see on TV. It's totally legal. We do it all the time."

Ariel smiled, encouraging the interest in Wendy's eyes. "It's called Andalasia Fashions. They have a huge selection of mermaid style dresses – "

She shrugged cheerfully as Wendy scrunched her nose. "Well…I think you'd look great in a mermaid dress. And I know they'd let you borrow one just for tonight. So…"

Ariel grinned. "Please?"

Wendy considered. She traced the base of the wicker basket. "I don't know…"

"Please!" Ariel begged, searching for a persuasive argument. "Please! It'll be fun!"

Wendy bit her lip.

"I'll treat you to lunch."

Wendy glanced sideways at Dr. Doppler. The bell was about to ring.

"And…"Ariel added with a mischievous smile. She held up her trident. "I'll let you try my trident."

Wendy looked up.

"Come on." Ariel said, giving the trident an enticing shake. "You know you want to."

Wendy smiled. "How can I say no?"