Chapter 18: Tuesday Mornings REALLY Suck

Jim's eyes popped open.

An irate, googly-eyed crab looked back.

"AHHH!" Jim yelled. "The fuck?"

"AHHHHHHHH!" yelled the crab. "Holy jellyfish!"

"Get away!" Kicking linens, Jim slammed into an ocean-themed bed post. Deep pain spread across his back as the muscles cramped. Moaning in pain, Jim flexed forward, a hand massaging the small of his back. His muscles had never been so sore! Every movement hurt.

But that didn't stop Jim from seizing the nearest object – a pillow – and throwing it at the talking crab cowering at the foot of the bed.

"Get away!" Jim repeated, the pillow skimming over the crab's red shell. Grabbing a second pillow, Jim held it at arms length. "Who the Hell are you? Where the Hell am I?"

Suddenly, Jim remembered. The school. The parrot. The bomb. The fall. The landing. The pool. The girl.

Jim cringed as his back muscles spasmed. "What the Hell happened to the school?"

Jumping up, the crab squeaked and scurried across the sheets as Jim raised the pillow over his head. "What the Hell is going on?!"

"Young man. What the Hell is so attractive about that vile word?"

Jim turned. A tall man with a long, white beard and formidable, bushy eyebrows had entered. Back stiff as a board, the man strode across the room. The red crab scuttled up the man's navy uniform, and perched himself triumphantly on the officer's shoulder.

Jim was unimpressed. Authority. Great.

Glaring, Jim raised the pillow higher, although the sustained contraction hurt his back.

"Who the Hell are you?" Jim demanded.

"Who the Hell are you?" replied the officer evenly. The crab muttered darkly.

Jim scowled. "I asked first."

"I asked second."

"Bull shit. I didn't do anything." Jim edged off the bed. "I'm a student. My school was attacked or something."

Jim's sunken eyes traced over the officer's decorated chest. Lots and lots of medals for an old geezer. "Are you emergency services or something? Where the Hell am I? And who's the crab?"

"The crab's name is Petty Officer Sebastian." said the officer, advancing slowly around the bed. "I am Admiral Triton, delegate of Fantasia's Naval Fleet, you are in my home, a guest for the night, your school was destroyed, has been rebuilt, you leave for school in twenty minutes, and by the sea and storms boy if you curse one more time, I swear I will tan your hide."

"Dat's right!" Sebastian the crab pointed angrily at Jim. "Any more questions, Mister?"

Jim backed against the wall. "How'd I get here?"

Admiral Triton raised a bushy eyebrow. The crab mimicked the gesture as the admiral leaned forward. "You don't know?"

"I just fuckin asked you."

Lightning crackled in Admiral Triton's blue eyes. He opened his mouth, then closed it with realization. "Do you remember...Captain Hook?"

"What?"

Admiral Triton, turned his head. Slightly. "Do you remember Ariel?"

Jim was getting annoyed. "Who?"

Admiral Triton seemed pleased. Slyly, he exchanged a satisfied smile with Sebastian. "Apparently not."

Jim rapped the wall. "Hey! Captain Ahab! Remember me – the stranger? Tell me where I am or I'll call the police."

It was a bluff, and a pretty big one too: Jim had a permanent file at the police station. Admiral Triton seemed to already know this.

"Young man. I am the police." said Admiral Triton as Sebastian snuffed. "And last night, after you washed upon my doorstep like drowned pup, I did notify the lost and found persons department. And, with probation records as dynamic as yours, James Pleiades Hawkins, I wouldn't be shooting my mouth off like an ungrateful vagabond in the presence of the highest ranking naval officer, this side of Fantasia."

Un-winded, Admiral Triton replaced his hands behind his back. "You were – allegedly –nearly drowned in the swimming pool at the time of the school bombing. Per report, this resulted in your deposal into the NorthernFantasiaSea. I have been informed by the Headmaster that there exists underground tunnels. You were found by a..."

Admiral Triton's face twitched beneath his beard. "....wandering vessel, unconscious and unhurt."

Jim grunted. "Not hurt my ass."

"You were delivered to me." continued Admiral Triton, stepping forward. "As I hold jurisdiction over these waters. You have enjoyed my hospitality for the night, will enjoy Sebastian's hospitality with an escort to school, and I pray by the sea and storms that we never have the misfortune of meeting again. Now..."

The admiral clenched his hands behind his back. "Do we have an understanding?"

Jim thought, processing the information. "Two things..." he finally said, lowering the pillow. "I think there was a girl."

Sebastian sucked in his breath, but the Admiral was unmoving. "A girl?"

"With me. In the water."

"I see." The admiral's eye pulsed. He frowned at Jim. "She was also found."

"What's her name?"

"None of your concern."

"None of? – Hey she saved my –"

"It is none—" Admiral Triton's voice deepened. "—of your concern. Next question."

Jim was overcome with frustration. Reproachfully, he threw up his hands. "Next question? Just like that? Um, ok, how about: why the Hell do I have to go to school?"

"Because it is 7:30 on a Tuesday morning." answered Admiral Triton, taking Jim by the scruff of his jacket. Roughly, he dragged Jim out of the sea-side mansion. "And in thirty minutes, you and your classmates pick out of the Magic Bag of Tricks."