Chapter 41: PTA

Chapter 41: PTA

Headmaster Mickey turned.

The screams and shouts nearly knocked him over.

"A SHADOW WORKER? A SHADOW WORKER?"

The headmaster calmly straightened his robes. "Yes. A shadow worker." he said to the parent brigade. Calmly, he stepped from the door. "And actually we have two."

"TWO!"

"But this girl," blubbered Lord Hubert, "has killed a boy, hasn't she?"

"One of my orphans!" bellowed Sir Ector.

"Shadow workers are not natural!" Sultan reprimanded.

"They have not been seen since..." observed Fa Ziou, "...since the last Fantasian King –"

"—and the last war over the Wishing Star!" Dallben added.

Lady Tremaine pointed a long, sharp fingernail. "The school is endangered!"

Lady Elinor nodded in agreement. "Is this yer idea o' keeping our children safe?!"

Headmaster Mickey raised his hands.

"Please!" his wrists shook for emphasis. "Lower your voices! There are students in the Nurse's Office trying to sleep."

"Sleep! Sleep?" Maurice elbowed to the front. A hodgepodge of gadgets swung from the inventor's belt. "Headmaster – are students still frozen? Is my Belle – "

"Master Merlin has revived all uninjured students." Headmaster Mickey shifted as Captain Amelia strut to his side. "We thought it best to heal the injured students before unfreezing them. To avoid pain – if they are sleeping in a frozen state, Master Merlin and Dr. Sweet can fix them faster. But your children will be up bright and early tomorrow, completely healed and ready for school."

"And what –" demanded Sir Ector, "—in the blue blazing happens next? They just trounce around class with Shadow Workers? I've got a dozen orphans in this bloody school and insurance to worry about, Man!"

Headmaster Mickey frowned. "Shadow Workers are not dangerous if they are trained. I will personally train them – "

"What about my Rapunzel!" wailed Mother Gothel. "What if she doesn't come home one night? I'll die! I'll simply die!"

"And my Phillip!"

"And my honey lamb, Charlotte!"

"And – "

"THE STUDENTS WILL BE TRAINED! ALL OF THEM!"

The crowd parted. Admiral Triton marched through the sea of parents. A tall muscular man followed in the admiral's wake. The newcomer was silent as Admiral Triton spoke, but his slanted eyes darted across his surroundings.

"Your children have been given gifts. They will be trained to defend themselves and Fantasia." Admiral Triton joined Headmaster Mickey. The newcomer folded his hands quietly beside the admiral. "I have the headmaster's word – your children will be prepared for the evil coming to take Fantasia."

"Evil?"

"Hup, hup! What's this now?"

"I thought little Oliva was playing pretend..."

"Hasn't anyone noticed..." asked Headmaster Mickey, "...that the Wishing Star has broken?"

"I did." The crowd turned. Chief Powhatan, eyes soft and sturdy as leather, gazed at the headmaster. "Kekata and I sought the prophesy. It has been ten centuries since..."